GPS recommendations

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Chris, $200 sounds a bit much. Honestly, if it were me I'd do a bit more checking around.
Anywhere you'd recommend?

I am not keen on buying used.

I've checked Futureshop (230), Staples (price match store, so 180 now that I see BB's price), Canadian Tire (which is where it is on sale for 209), Best Buy (199) and The SOurce (219).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Anywhere you'd recommend?

I am not keen on buying used.

I've checked Futureshop (230), Staples (price match store, so 180 now that I see BB's price), Canadian Tire (which is where it is on sale for 209), Best Buy (199) and The SOurce (219).
I'll check with my daughter (she's off today so probably sleeping and I don't want to wake her). She often has some great leads. I also thought of Costco - if you or a friend has a membership you could probably save some serious money. I also find sometimes that even if you have to get out and travel from store to store you can get better deals than online (not sure if you are talking about online prices, but due to your disabilities I'm assuming so).

ETA: Just checked Costco online and the Garmin 275T is 199.99. They have a TomTom for $129.99.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a COSTCO membership, or an "in" that way.....

and yes, the prices I quoted are off of websites.... I have a CT, The Source, Staples and Walmart in town.

According to the manufacturers site, the suggested retail is between 219-329 USD.

I have not read good things about the TomTom (not horrible, but the Garmin seems to win over it according to online reviews).

I "think" Staples is probally the cheapest I'll find for that model..... I definately need the wider screen......

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I do not have a COSTCO membership, or an "in" that way.....

and yes, the prices I quoted are off of websites.... I have a CT, The Source, Staples and Walmart in town.

According to the manufacturers site, the suggested retail is between 219-329 USD.

I have not read good things about the TomTom (not horrible, but the Garmin seems to win over it according to online reviews).

I "think" Staples is probally the cheapest I'll find for that model..... I definately need the wider screen......
Sounds good. I know nothing of the TomTom but love the Garmin our DD gave us and the pricing you got is not crazy or anything so probably a good buy for you.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid approximately $250 for my Garmin nüvi 260W, about a year ago. I price shopped, and got it on Amazon.com. Six months later, I bought them for my parents and my sister for Christmas, and paid about $200, on sale.

I just checked Amazon.com, and the Garmin nüvi 260W is on sale for $149, and the Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT with integrated navigator is $214.

I really could have used the integrated navigator this past weekend, when I went to a concert in Detroit. The traffic was stopped for nearly an hour, due to an accident on I-75.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I paid approximately $250 for my Garmin nüvi 260W, about a year ago. I price shopped, and got it on Amazon.com. Six months later, I bought them for my parents and my sister for Christmas, and paid about $200, on sale.

I just checked Amazon.com, and the Garmin nüvi 260W is on sale for $149, and the Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT with integrated navigator is $214.

I really could have used the integrated navigator this past weekend, when I went to a concert in Detroit. The traffic was stopped for nearly an hour, due to an accident on I-75.
I just checked amazon..... (I'm Canadian, so I use amazon.ca)

They have the NUVI 265WT for $260, the 255W for $230, and 255 and 260 for $180.

So it would seem, the best price would be local... I don't mind buying online at all, I just don't want used

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say go for the Garmin at Staples. That's a good price.

That said, yeah, like someone else posted, it does sometimes take a minute or 2 to locate the satellites, you can get around that simply by turning it on a few minutes before you're leaving (outside or at a window of course) so it 'wakes up' as i say. Hey, I'm not a morning person, neither is my Daniel.

As for map updates, well you can hook it to the PC and download free little update things, like improved voices or different car icons, but to update the whole map you have to buy it and load it on. I haven't done it yet but i'm actually thinking of maybe doing it whenever the next update comes out since it's been over 2 years and I've come across a few new roads/industrial parks/highway junctions that get screwy. I don't think it's necessary to buy the update every year though, but maybe every few years.

Oh, someone mentioned the POI loader thing, I downloaded that (free) to my PC, but I don't know what to do with it!!
So I just enter in my own locations on the actual GPS.

Anyway, I hope you like it, whatever you end up getting!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used the Garmin Nuvi 205W on our way to a bunch of places and loved it. It was my FIL's work GPS we borrowed. We're planning on buying one of our own in a few months.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the Garmin 205. I love it! I tried the TomTom and it didn't seem as easy to use to me. The TomTom wasn't as responsive. I bought mine because I was traveling about 3 hours away to a place I had never been with my friend that had never been there either. That trip made it worthwhile for me! I love my Garmin