Gotta Shop - New Washing Machine

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both are installed now in my laundry room. I am washing clothes. It is definitely different. The lid locks and I hear some clicking sounds. As I said, there is no agitator. I used the quick start guide for directions until I have time to read the manual. So far, I like.
Yeh, they can take some getting used to. My parents purchased a top-loading, high-efficiency washer with no agitator, and my mom didn't like it at first because it was new and different. But now she likes it. 

My washer is front-loading, so it washes by tumbling...just like a dryer. I love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo good!  I hope you love it!  Laundry is more fun that first few times!  More so if you've gone without a machine I'm sure; but still! ;)   I'm curious how you like it without an agitator.  Update us on it later please!  Gotta keep that all in mind for down the road for myself!
Yes I will. The real test is going to be how clean I think it gets the clothes. My nephew said his water bill actually went down. I am all for that :nod: So I have washed and dried some clothes now and am here to talk about this washer and dryer. The jury is still out. They are the high efficiency models. In the washer, that means it uses less water. It is a top load machine, the type with not agitator. The small load I did was fine. When I washed the light colored clothes, my husband's dress shirts were very wrinkled. The directions to load the machine say to layer the clothes around the tub edges, not covering the center part of the tub. I did that so I don't know what caused the wrinkling. I am going to have to call the customer service number and talk to someone I guess. With the clothes I put in the dryer, it doesn't matter, but his shirts I generally hang up and only have to touch them up a bit with the iron. So does anyone else here have this type of washer and have you had this to happen.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone else here have one of these top loaders without the agitator. I experience some wrinkle issues when I washed today.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo good!  I hope you love it!  Laundry is more fun that first few times!  More so if you've gone without a machine I'm sure; but still! ;)   I'm curious how you like it without an agitator.  Update us on it later please!  Gotta keep that all in mind for down the road for myself!
Since you asked, here is the update. The store I bought it from now has it back. It was a Maytag Centennial matching washer and dryer. The wash cycle for a normal load took 55 minutes. The clothes came out with soap all over them. I was using the right detergent, the new HE kind. I put the load of colored clothes back in to rinse three times. It took me from eight forty Monday morning until after supper to complete three washer loads of clothes because I couldn't get the soap rinsed out. I tried every combination of cycles I knew.
Our water here in the house is super soft and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. But I don't know. Anyway, I knew I was never going to be able to handle trying to do laundry with this washer. I returned the dryer too because I only got it to have a matching set. I bought a Speed Queen top load washer with an agitator. I thought Speed Queen had quit making washers, but they have not. They only make washers and dryers, no other appliances and they make commercial washers and dryers. This machine warranty is above and beyond the one year warranty that most machines give. There is three years of anything that tears up, five on the motor and ten on the transmission.
I only got it Wednesday so have only washed one load of clothes, but I think I am going to love it. The delivery people sat my old dryer, which we had moved to the garage, back in the house. It is a six year old Amana which is made by Whirlpool. It works fine. I am over caring whether they match. I just want a washer that will work and do a good job. I think I finally have that now.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow that's no good!  I'd have returned too!  I know I have to watch with  mine that it spins things enough if it's done on a gentle or delicate cycle. But that's not a big deal because it has a spin only setting and I can still choose how fast to spin it.  

Matching is nice; but having them work right is far better!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a shame. I wonder whether that particular washer was defective, or the model itself is simply ill-conceived?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a shame. I wonder whether that particular washer was defective, or the model itself is simply ill-conceived?
If anyone wants to read reviews, here is the model number:

Maytag MVW360AW

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had a mismatched set for awhile now.  My dryer is 17 years old and my washer is about 6 years old.  I had bought the old set together.  The washer still worked but it was leaking water and I got tired of cleaning up after it.  I will keep the dryer until it quits.

I have a front loading HE washing machine and I really like it.  I was wondering how the top loading machines without an agitator would work, apparently they don't work well.  The only problem that I have with the front loader is that it is so heavy I can't move it.  I had people in to replace my breaker box which is right above the washing machine so they moved it and it was really dirty under it.  Of course when they removed the hoses water got on the floor which can't be avoided and then there was mud.  I got in there while they were on break and cleaned up the mess.