Got the enclosure done...but...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Here is an early photo of our enclosure. You can see ramps, posts, and hidey holes

now mine feels inadeqete. As i said in my first post, i still have to go shopping for a box/tree for him, we only completed it 2 days ago so i still have stuff to do

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, your's is not inadequate! You are just starting and it will be a wonderful cat pad in no time
I can't wait to see how you progress with it.
Seb would give anything to have a set up like you have made for your guy. Someday!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't feel that way! Your enclosure is perfectly adequate. I was just trying to give you an idea of how to relax your cat inside your enclosure. Visit a thrift shop and look at the furniture there and see if anything could fit for your kitty's needs.

I rescue a lot of cats and kittens. The enclosure was designed to house at least 30 cats comfortably if needed. Your kitty is lucky that you care so much about him you offer him this alternate outside hang-out.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
How come he doesn't use your enclosure?

We don't have lots of money and we have lots of little children at the back who would love to find out what we are doing and throw balls over and terrorize animals *grumbles*

this is roughly what it should be with the run. the run will be about 2ft tall and 2 ft wide so he can feel safe in a lower space but still have room for his tail
the clothesline is around the bottom corner of the run (when we make it), we dont have a huge amount of lawn, half the back is paved as a second driveway. Do you think having 7-9 metres of tunnel might be a good thing for him so he can run about more? It will also be made from the wire the enclosure walls are made from with little stakes holding its shape. I thought either a couple of sections being covered in shade cloth when it's sunny if he wants to lay in the tunnel or i can plant a big bush in the middle of the run so when it gets bigger it will shade the whole thing (i want him to have some sun as well)

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

How come he doesn't use your enclosure?
Was this for me? If so, because I don't have an enclosure
I live 3 stories up in a city

Edit: I like the idea of a birdbath there. Looks like a good plan and will give you room to change later if you like. I know I would always be tinkering with something like that
I think the run is a good idea.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Was this for me? If so, because I don't have an enclosure
I live 3 stories up in a city
Sorry i got the nicknames mixed up
wow i couldn't imagine having kitties in an apartment, i'm so used to having a yard and kitties running outside. Do they like it?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are off to a great start. You will find that every year inside the enclosure will change. It is sort of a work in progress.

Just from personal experience, Charley is in your sig? White cats are very susceptible to skin cancer from exposure to the sun.
Tomorrow morning, I take Twirl (another white kitty) in to have her ear flaps removed because of squamous cell carcinoma. Personally, white kitties and sun just don't get along. Especially white blue eyed kitties. I wouldn't worry about the sun aspect of the enclosure. Take it from me, this skin cancer is nasty stuff.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Sorry i got the nicknames mixed up
wow i couldn't imagine having kitties in an apartment, i'm so used to having a yard and kitties running outside. Do they like it?
Seb doesn't care for it. For 10 years he was indoor/outdoor. He has accepted it though. Daphne has never known anything else in her 17 weeks of life

I hope to get a job that pays a decent wage and get a better place this summer
When I do, I want to build a small enclosure on a patio!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You are off to a great start. You will find that every year inside the enclosure will change. It is sort of a work in progress.

Just from personal experience, Charley is in your sig? White cats are very susceptible to skin cancer from exposure to the sun.
Tomorrow morning, I take Twirl (another white kitty) in to have her ear flaps removed because of squamous cell carcinoma. Personally, white kitties and sun just don't get along. Especially white blue eyed kitties. I wouldn't worry about the sun aspect of the enclosure. Take it from me, this skin cancer is nasty stuff.
Yup that's my baby in my signature. We keep an eye out for any spots or changes on him. He is either indoors, or he goes out into the enclosure which has the uv shade clothes on the top and some over the sides. Mum and dad want to move house in a year or two as well, so it has to be able to be pulled apart and put together somewhere else. Tristan and i want to move in a year or so, so we dont know what will happen, i really want Charlie with me. Jasmine was mums cat and i know she loves having a kitty around, but Charlie is my baby, has been for 8 years

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You sound like a good kitty caretaker. Charley is lucky to have you

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Seb doesn't care for it. For 10 years he was indoor/outdoor. He has accepted it though. Daphne has never known anything else in her 17 weeks of life

I hope to get a job that pays a decent wage and get a better place this summer
When I do, I want to build a small enclosure on a patio!
Daphne is a beautiful thing, she looks alot like Jasmine