Got censored here. Was this a "BAD" word???

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in reference to the word "fanny"... are there people in the UK named Fanny? (that is where it is considered a bad word right?) I know like 2 people named Fanny and it is also a polite term for butt here so I was curious if there are people named that over there?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much of the time, when someone is named Fanny it is spelled Fannie. Fannie/Fanny was one of the 10 most popular names for girl infants in the U.S. for 10 decades, ending in 1960. Also, one of the largest lenders for home mortgages in the world is the Fannie Mae foundation.

Another popular name (that I really like myself) was Gay or Gaye (whom we have a beloved member with that name). When I was growing up in the 60's, gay meant happy. When I think of the word gay, I think of little girls skipping, romping and humming happy tunes through a meadow. Probably from books and songs when I was young! Of course It still does mean these things but is used more often these days as a term for homosexual.

So..... do we ban these words because people in one or more parts of the world have adopted them as slang for profanity or changed the meaning to something people are uncomfortable with? I don't think so!