Got Blitz a playmate

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally got Blitz a playmate... actually, it's his sister from the same litter.

They are both about 9 months old now... he's not reacting too well... a lot of chasing and hissing. Kept us up last night... they'd sleep for 5 minutes, wake up, stare for 5 minutes, chase, hiss, repeat.

Any idea how long this will last, or what I can do to speed up the acclimation process?

Thanks!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how long was he a solo kitty? i swear sometimes i wish they understood English! (like, "Now now, sweety - She's your sister - You don't remember her but it's your job to take care of her.")

do you have Feliway (plug ins)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was a solo cat from when we got him, so from 7 weeks till now.

She was never a solo cat.

I don't have feliway.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that Blitz in your siggy? He's SOOOO cute!

If there isnt fur flying or blood, they should be ok together, but not unsupervised. Most likely they are working out their dominance status. Have they been neutered? She's definitely old enough to get pregnant...
Hope it goes better for you. (Oh yeah, how long has she been at your house?)

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's fixed, she needs to get spayed.

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They need to stop. This is the second night in a row where all I heard was hissing and growling, I'm not getting any sleep. Blitz keeps pawing at her, and she defends herself.

She's rather skittish... if you move towards her she freaks out... whereas he's adventurous and hyper. She's shy, he's aggressive. They are litter mates though, but Blitz has no knowledge of socialization. She does.

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
During the night put her in the bathroom or something and close the door so they can smell each other but not reach each other. That should also solve your sleep problems.

Try getting feliway. It's 19 dollars or so on Amazon. It should mellow them out while they get used to each other.

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She howls when she's alone and refuses to eat/drink/use the litter box when she's alone... she only really seems comfortable around Blitz, which is odd since she seems terrified of him... if she would eat/drink alone, I'd do that, but she doesn't.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siblings separated at 7 weeks doesn't make them any better suited as "friend" then two unrelated cats. U need to separate them and introduce them properly its obvious throwing them together didn't work.

Leslie

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I need to reset it, though I'm worried about her - she refuses to eat or drink without another cat nearby... we separated them throughout the day, then let them out, she immediately ran to his food bowl and ate for about a minute while he was sitting there.

Either way... there appears to have had a detente form between them... though not necessarily in a good way. Whenever Blitz even approaches her, even just to smell her foot for instance, she hisses. I think Blitz is trying to play with her, with his limited social experience, and she is taking it as him attacking her, with hissing and pawing. Then it just spirals out of control.

I did just watch them lie down about 3 feet apart though... Belle hissed at him if he got any closer and he got the message.

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep her in a bathroom or bedroom for a week or two.. Alone. No intereaction with ure male. Give her time to get used to the smells and sounds of ure house. go visit her.. pet her.. love on her..then go play/pet ure male. They will get used to each other smells from under the door..and on ure clothes. When you do that.. then see how they do.

I just got my one kitty adjusted to the 2 new females my Roomie brought. Took them a good cpl weeks to adjust. And they still have Hissing and spitting spouts some. lol But it is cause he has a youngin and they are older. They have to find there boundries. Give them time
We see the 3 of ours curled up next to each other sleeping now