Got A Turtle Today

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a red eared slider turtle and just love him!!
I belong to a forum where you can learn more about your new pet.
If you are interested, send a PM and I'll dig out the site address for you.

kcwm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 4-5" Red Ear Sliders, 3 1.5" False Maps, and 1 1" Stinkpot. They are incredible pets, but are complicated and expensive to get set up properly.

The other pet forum I belong to is a big turtle site with many, many knowledgeable and patient owners who will be more than happy to help you learn how to properly care for your turtle. There are multiple forums, and I've been a member of two or three and the one I'm a member of is the best, in my opinion.

Check out Austinsturtlepage.com, which has a lot of good turtle care information, along with a link to the forum.

As someone was so kind to point out, turtles will NOT stop growing simply because you keep them in a small tank. A possible explanation for what really occurs is that the turtle lives in an unhealthy, stressful environment leading to a premature death at a small size. Red Ear Sliders, which are a very common turtle, can live to be 25-30 years old in captivity, if kept properly. Keep a turtle in a small tank, or lagoon, is like keeping a cat in the closet for it's entire life. Hardly humane, right?

The general rule of thumb for tank sizes is 10 gallons per inch of the turtle, plus 10%. So, a 10 gallon tank would hold a hatchling turtle for an incredibly short amount of time. In fact, our 1" stinkpot is in a 35g tank (though the water isn't filled that high because they can tire easily an drown). If you add a 2nd turtle, you use that same figure but cut it in half. So, two 1" turtles would need, at a minimum, a 15g tank or so. And that would only last for a couple of months.

The best approach, if one can afford it, is to get the biggest tank possible instead of purchasing multiple tanks as the turtle grows. Check your local craigslist or ebay for local pickup listings. You can often find a 55g tank and stand for under $100 bucks. And, when you buy filters, lights, etc, always buy online...even at petsmart.com. The prices in the stores are incredibly higher. For example, a great canister filter is the Rena Filstar XP3. It's almost $200 at petsmart, but at petsmart.com (and other sites), it's around $100. You can save a lot of money this way.

Look at it this way, you probably spend a few hundred dollars on your cat for food, litter, toys, treats, etc over the course of a year. With a turtle, you spend all of that at once. It's a tougher purchase, but if you get a large tank (for example, a 100g tank), then you're set for a few years rather than a couple of months. Then, all you have is food and maintenance. A thing of food will last you for a long time if you are a feeding them properly. You should supplement their diet with aquatic plants (can be found at petsmart), along with suggested vegetables. I actually feed my turtles tortoise food because it has a higher vegetable/fruit content and a lower protein content, which means that, in theory, I can feed them more...but I don't.

I think that, as pet owners, we want what is best for our pets, within reason. Obvously, we can not provide cats with a large natural environment, nor can we provide turtles with a river or lake...but it is our responsibility to provide them with something as close to their natural habitat as possible. Hatchling turtles are born swimming in water multiple feet deep, yet some inexperienced owners keep them in 2" of water.

Turtle ownership can be overwhelming. I typed a novel and barely tapped into the depths of it. But, it's a very, very rewarding experience...something totally different than owner a cat or dog.

If you have ANY questions, check out that austinsturtlepage.com or send me a PM and I will be glad to answer your questions.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I believe you've said elsewhere that you're sixteen. Had they really lived "for years" and been taken well care of they would still be alive. Those little hatchling RES that are so popular easily live into their twenties.

As for how old they are when you got them. If they're 1" - 1 1/2" then they are recently hatched.

Age eight + five years would be thirteen, you could have went to your local library or even your school library, or just a computer to look up how to care for them.You could have even asked a teacher to help you. There are plenty of children that do take really good care of their reptile pets.

Unfortunately this is a case of disposable pet. Why worry when you can just go buy another.

And yes, I know I'm being very very harsh here. But you are trying to say that killing your pets was ok, you're trying to justify it. Where you to do this in the health and nutrition section concerning a cat I'm certain you'd see worse than what I have wrote here.

I will say it again. Do not get more turtles. I honestly feel you are not mature enough for such a big responsibility at this time. Also, unless you're working and can pay for it yourself, to provide a proper set up you'll need to spend around $300. Plus these animals do need vet care just like every other animal.
I think you're being a bit too harsh on her.
She obviously knows how to look after a turtle - she's not saying they're disposable. I read back over her post just then and it said "raccoons got to them". Hardly something she had control over. The first ones, she said she had when she was 8. Again, hardly something she had control over. When she knew better, it sounds like she took the turtle out of the little lagoon and put him in a jacuzi or a kiddy pool.

I don't see what the issue is, she might have heard and believed that turtles grow to the size of the tank they're in - something that I do know is BS as well, but there's a nice way to say it!

I really do respect that you're trying to help out a turtle here, but really, whatever happened to nice constructive criticism or pointing her in the right direction, rather than the "turtle nazi"!

I don't want to be seeming argumentative because that's not my intention, I just don't want to see someone get picked on because of their age and because someone's misinformed them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was not the person's age or ignorance that was the main problem, it was the attitude that the she did everything right care wise and it wasn't her fault the turtles died - then the decision to suddenly get another. She came off as a pet collector - the type that gets pets, doesn't bother to learn their requirements, and replaces them when they die (repeating the same mistakes again and again).

That is honestly a frightening thing if you're concerned about the wellfare of an animal at all.
The suggestion that she stop and learn first about the care and responsiblity needed, while blunt, is the best suggestion to keeping any pet alive. 6 months to a year is very little time to wait for something that will be with you for so many years - it's not an impossible sacrifice.
Also while it may be hard - if you killed your pet, admit it and learn. If one can't do this they are doomed to make the same mistakes again.

By the way - if anyone cares to use the search option, there is a long thread in this section about turtles. It has lots of information, tips, and links to very informative sites.
There's a shorter one with tips for tortoises.

__
kcwm - I've checked out those care sheets and that forum before. In general it seems a bit better for aquatics. I've always liked some of the forums on kingsnake.com. For my area of interest, box turtles, that section has experienced breeders, keepers, and biologists.
I've learned a lot from lurking there for years - before I ever kept boxies. (note that the kingsnake.com site also has a laws and cites section that is very useful -I think one of the people from Rexano.org posts there too)

Have you tried any of the homemade gelatin recipes? I think I have it saved somewhere. If anyone else is interested I'll revive the turtle thread and add it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Turtles are sooo cute! I'm not a turtle fan for myself, but my friend is looking into adopting one soon. I forget exactly what kind she said, red something I think. She's reading up on them now I guess.

kcwm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

kcwm - I've checked out those care sheets and that forum before. In general it seems a bit better for aquatics. I've always liked some of the forums on kingsnake.com. For my area of interest, box turtles, that section has experienced breeders, keepers, and biologists.
I've learned a lot from lurking there for years - before I ever kept boxies. (note that the kingsnake.com site also has a laws and cites section that is very useful -I think one of the people from Rexano.org posts there too)

Have you tried any of the homemade gelatin recipes? I think I have it saved somewhere. If anyone else is interested I'll revive the turtle thread and add it.
I haven't, but I'd be up for it.

ATP has more of an aquatic flavor because those are more commonly kept. But, they do have care sheets for box turtles and tortoises, along with a section in the forum for them as well. A lady and her husband built this awesome outdoor enclosure for their tortoises...was simply amazing.

There are definitely other forums out there for turtles, I won't deny that. I used to frequent 3 of them, but then decided to consolidate it down to one, as most of the information was repeat info.

Now, if only I could do that for the music message boards I post on.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added that recipe, if you haven't seen it and for others.

The boxie care sheets are ok... they just cover the basics in some areas.