got a stomatitis diagnosis today......

chris strunk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My buddy has stomatitis. I don't think its severe but it makes him slightly drool when he is sleeping. He paws at his face and has lost some weight. I did notice the horrible breath about a month ago but it went away. He is still playful and seems somewhat happy. The vet gave him a shot for pain (not sure what it was) and 10 days of clavamox twice daily. I was wondering if anybody has seen this clear up with just the antibiotics? Have there been cases where it was resolved without the tooth extraction? How? The cause I'm told, is unknown. So I guess there will many different opinions. This is my first day...i need any help I can get. I did not ask for buddy he came to me and unfortunately I have little money (that is for a tooth extraction).

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say, that extraction works in about 80% o the cases. You may want to check out this website:

http://dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html

I have a boy who was diagnosed several years ago. I have worked to keep him from having total mouth extraction. This is only my experience and not based on medical research.

I put him on the slippery elm and honey twice a day for about a year, antibiotics in pulse doses (about every 6 weeks)  and removed all poultry from his diet as well as kibble. In my research I realized his problems started when I was feeding him chicken in addition to his regular food to keep weight on him to show. He is a whole cat. He has maintained his weight and disposition. Now we do the slippery elm and honey if he starts drooling.

Have your vet check out the website, if he hasn't already. Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris strunk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info. I will do the questionnaire it may just help. If I understand, you are maintaining him without an extraction...how long has it been? I am going to put him on a new diet today. What do you recommend I get him? I will avoid poultry (many seem to say this). He does seem slightly better after his antibiotics (only first day). He ate a little more than usual today.

kellie90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We actually have/had a couple of kitties with the stomatitis.  Our Pandy was diagnosed back in 2004, it was not real bad at that time so he was treated with antibotics and steroids which kept it under control for several years.  As time went on it did start to get worse but at that time Pandy was 20 yrs old so we did not want to put him through getting all his teeth removed, plus we didn't have the $900 that the vet wanted in order to do it.  We fed him very soft, moist canned cat food (RX near the end), gave him baby food and syringed some.  When he started to lose weight and we seen that he was losing his quality of life we had him put down, he was 23 years old.

Currently we have a Russian Blue (Jim)  that diagnosed with the stomatitis.  Our now vet suggested pulling only his teeth on his left side since they were worse,  to see if it would work for him.  We were very lucky and it has seem to have worked for him as we have had no further trouble with his mouth since,  We keep all our kitties on canned food since several have the possible early signs of stomatitis.  

If money is an issue with you maybe you would try what we did for Jim and only have one side of his teeth pulled to see if it works for your kitty.  They heal very quickly after the surgery and do well afterwards as far as eating.  Good luck to you and your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris strunk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was good to hear [emoji]128522[/emoji] about pandy maintaining that long at that age. 23 years wow! He lived a life! My buddy is 4 years old now and the vet told me he's seen alot worse. People that come over don't hardly notice. But its there. The red is mostly on the back of his mouth and not much on the gums yet. I just want to get a hold on it now. I still have 10 days before his next check up. Right now he seems a little better [emoji]128522[/emoji] so I believe the clavamox is doing something.
Do you think that catnip might play a role in this? He had LOTS of catnip prior to this event. Thank you much.