Goop In Cat's Eye

Bendz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Sasha came home from the vet today, and she has a large amount of goop in her eye. Because she had surgery on that eye earlier this year, she has no third eyelid to help wipe it away.

Does anyone have any experience with cleaning goop from the actual eyeball? It doesn't seem to be coming out itself.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm.... can u ask the vet about putting eye drops in? Might loosen it up and flood it out. I haven't done it from the eyeball as it sounds dangerous. I wouldn' trust myself or my cat and be afraid to blind them. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bendz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there's no way I'm reaching in to pull it out. There are too many risks. I do have some eyedrops that were prescribed to her after the surgery. I got the okay to use those, but they only succeeded in pushing the goop to the bottom of her eye. Maybe I can dab it out later today. It has to be irritating her.

I'm used to cleaning the corner of her eye with a cotton ball, but actually dealing with the goop inside the eye is tricky.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try flushing it with the drops. U can use a warm cloth to rub over the eye and if it is sticking out at all it should come right out.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use straight saline to flush it out. They should have them in the contact lense section but make sure that it is ONLY saline solution and not regular contact solution for cleaning and storing. It will say Saline On the front. And if you are not sure read the ingredient in the back. That way you don't waste all the eye drops they gave you. Not sure how big that bottle is. Saline is safe for their eye and also should be no problem using after the surgery though you can wait them to be sure. Just flush it pretty hard if you can and it should get everything loose and out where you can wipe with a soft cloth or tissue.