Google has released its own browser!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The NPR tech guru pointed out that, rather than being a completely "new" browser, it actually has a lot from Safari.
They freely admit that part of what they have done is bring together the best features from other browsers. I think what it is that makes Chrome unique will become clear over time.

Of course, I think the Google browser will soon have those plug-ins, too.
Yeah, remember what is available now is an early release (I don't remember if it is beta or not.)

If you haven't already read this, you might find it of interest:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/why.html?hl=en

Edit - I just confirmed it is indeed a beta release.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will wait a while before thinking about switching over, we downloaded it at work and also had Java problems in all browsers and had to get IT to come and fix it for us again because Java wouldn't reinstall at all.

Besides, I can't live without my addons

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The NPR tech guru pointed out that, rather than being a completely "new" browser, it actually has a lot from Safari. .
Ah, well, thanks!! I thought it might, not just from a similar look and feel, but because it misrendered a glitch on one of my pages exactly the same way Safari did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Besides, I can't live without my addons
Yep, I won't use it until it has a cats theme for the browser

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

They freely admit that part of what they have done is bring together the best features from other browsers. I think what it is that makes Chrome unique will become clear over time.

Yeah, remember what is available now is an early release (I don't remember if it is beta or not.)

If you haven't already read this, you might find it of interest:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/why.html?hl=en

Edit - I just confirmed it is indeed a beta release.
I don't think Google has a single product out that isn't Beta. Seriously. Gmail, maps, office apps, all beta.

Heck up until this year the search engine still showed beta

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love FireFox and all it's add-ons - in fact, I am surprised how many people actually still use IE.

But I also love a lot of things from Google - I recently downloaded Picasa as a picture manager and it was tons-times faster than my Kodak program. It even prompted me to start using Blogger
which of course is Google.

My interest is piqued with their new browser, but I think I will wait til the beta has been fully tested and tweaked.

Thanks Sarah for the heads up. I cant wait til they have it all decked out!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I don't think Google has a single product out that isn't Beta. Seriously. Gmail, maps, office apps, all beta.

Heck up until this year the search engine still showed beta
I hadn't noticed that! Maps doesn't appear to be beta but gmail and web docs are.

Anyway, the point is that Chrome is brand spanking new. In my opinion it is already an impressive app. I'm a proponent of web based apps and that is something Chrome is designed to handle well.

I'm using it exclusively on my Windows machines at home and can't wait for the Linux version so I can use it at work.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

I love FireFox and all it's add-ons - in fact, I am surprised how many people actually still use IE.

But I also love a lot of things from Google - I recently downloaded Picasa as a picture manager and it was tons-times faster than my Kodak program.
An even faster and more elegant program is Irfanview.

http://www.irfanview.com

There are some programs that get so much development that they are eternally in beta.

I used Chrome a little yesterday. It has some nice features, but man, is it hard to get to your bookmarks.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

That is why I stopped using FF3 for a while - can't live without my blue cats theme
That's odd. I never lost it, and I've been updating to each new English version/update as it comes out.

I definitely don't want to do without my add-ons, and there's now a warning from a federal office about security issues with the German version of Chrome.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started using FF3 when it first came out in Feb or March and it had hardly any skins, the green version of the cats one came out a little before the blue one too, so I used that for a bit but it was at least a month after they launched FF3

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Security issues? What? Is Google taking after Microsoft and releasing a beta product so that the users can find the flaws in the program for them to take years and years and service packs and service packs to fix? Then when it's finally a fairly stable product they start it all over again?

Hmmmmm.....sounds much like Windows, Office, etc. etc.

I sure hope Google does it the Google way, not the Microsoft way.