Goodbye, Sweet Prince

crazycatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 month ago we had to say goodbye to the best cat ever.
Just when I thought I was doing better with grieving, looking at his pictures brought tears to my eyes one more time.
I wanted to write this post after I had time to reflect and heal but I now realize the pain will always be there. That's how much he was loved.

Muzzy was an adventurer, troublemaker, lover, fighter, social butterfly. He always greeted us by the door, he slept cuddled up to us every night, he loved getting petted by new people and he made non-cat people fall in love with him.
He loved car rides, climbing the seats and dashboard (when we weren't driving), eating grass at the park, sleeping on fresh laundry, climbing on my computer and sleeping on a kitchen table on top of a radiator in the winter.

He was 19 when cancer took him away.

He was diagnosed 1.5 years ago, while otherwise always in perfect health, and he put up a great fight. Unfortunately, we got the the point when chemo wasn't working any more and he started deteriorating rather quickly at the end. I'm convinced that if it wasn't for the lymphoma, he would still be with us for years.

I wrote about our experiences with cancer treatment (link below) and hope that it helps those considering treatment on older pets.

Old (19) Kitty With Lymphoma - His Amazing Adventure Is Coming To An End

My heart breaks just thinking about him and I'd do everything all over again, just to have him with us for one more day.
Saying goodbye to him, as he laid on our bed, was one of the hardest things we have ever had to deal with. But I'm happy he left us at home, place he loved, surrounded by our love.

He was our dearest family member, and me miss him dearly.
Goodbye sweet prince.
thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg thumb_IMG_0954_1024.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1665.jpg IMG_0109.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I can tell you I'm sorry that pictures showed up many times... Preview didn't show them, now I can't seem to find a way to edit the post. :(

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No need to edit the post, those were beautiful pictures worth seeing again. What a handsome boy he was.
I don’t have any advice for you except that I know what you’re going through. My own best cat in the world left me 17 years ago and though the pain isn’t as bad as when she first passed, it’s still there. I find myself thinking of her wonderful ways in a wistful manner and try not to think of her last days.
You will always have a little hole in your heart and will think of him always but in time I hope you think of the good times with a little joy in your heart.
My deepest sympathies to you.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. He looks like a great cat with a wonderful sense of humor. And what a long life he had with you! We are so fortunate to have cats in our lives.
I lost my Timmer to what was believed to be lymphoma but he was diagnosed with IBD. He only lasted about three weeks after he was diagnosed and he didn't respond to chemo at all. Nothing worked for him. He was only 10 and had a lot of life left in him if not for that.
There just wasn't anything more we could do for our kitties.
Cancer stinks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Muzzy, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry for your loss. He was, and is, a lovely cat. This is what I believe to the depths of my being...Love does not die. It changes form, and continues on, just as loving as ever it was. Muzzy has put aside his poor body that could no longer support his great heart and gentle spirit, but he is with you still. He is simply waiting for your turn to take off your heavy coat of flesh and dance on the air with him in joyous reunion.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muzzy shared his life with you for 19 wonderful years. At the end of his life story he crossed the bridge at home, surrounded by those he loved above all else. He is at peace.
We will always miss those furry little babies. No matter how much we prepare our hearts for that final goodbye, it still shatters with a pain that takes our breathe away. We have to cling to the fact that our little ones would NEVER want us to go into the future with a burden of sadness that weighs down our soul. They only want the best for us because that is what love is, unselfish and uplifting. We cannot change the past, we have only the present to prepare for the future. So try not to dwell on the sad end, do not let it take over all those wonderful memories of happiness and joy that sweet boy left for you. Use those happy memories to bring comfort to your heart, to celebrate having him in your life for 19 wonderful years, he was meant to be in your life, it would be tragic to have never known him at all.
The bond of love you formed is a strong one. It is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be near, the new path he follows will forever be linked to yours through love. Although he took a piece of your heart to remember you by, he left behind a piece of his own to help your move forward and heal.
My tears fall for your pain, I know it all too well. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. The empathy you receive from others who understand helps to let a little of that pain escape, a burden shared is a burden lightened. Take care......
RIP dear Muzzy. You will be dearly missed little boy, but the ray of sunshine you brought into the lives of your family will shine on and brighten the lives that loved you so much through their memories. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your Muzzy. He was so lovely. Take all the time you need to grieve. We are all here
to listen. I still grieve all my babies who have crossed. There are some very special kitties at the bridge to
help Muzzy. Antonio's dear Lola is the leader there so he is in good hands.

Hugs,

Mia :hugs:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, I know how they can wrap themselves around our hearts and when they leave you too feel as if you will die and don't really care if you do, but he had 19 years with you even though to you that wasn't enough, but he is not in pain or suffering now, he is just fine, it is you who is hurting understandably but with much time that broken heart will slowly mend, it takes about 1.5 years to truly feel like you can deal with it so 1 month is so very new yet.

He looks like our Simba who is up there in age too but very spry yet, and I LOVE the picture of him looking out the car window.

If 19 years ago someone would have said to you "I will give you this cat, he will be a great cat for you, but in 19 years I need to take him from you" what would you have said? I'm sure it would've been yes, as you DID take care of him so well all those years.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I understand how you feel, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this heartache, I know how crushing it can be. I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish to renew my condolences on the loss of your wonderful Muzzy.
After nearly 11 months, I just can't look at the photos of my beloved Lola without feeling my heart breaking. I think I could give all I have to have her with me again. I was ready to trade my life with hers if this would have saved her, but I couldn't.
Muzzy knows that you loved him and tried everything for him. And he is thanking you for giving him a life full of adventures and things to see, smell and do.
Now he has so much to tell other kitties at the Rainbow Bridge, and I'm sure they all listen to him in wonder, and with a bit of envy.

We can only grieve, think of the happy moments (and I can't do it just yet) and wait to see them again, never to be parted!
RIP wonderful Muzzy, you were very much loved.

unknown01891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiful boy. You have my sympathies. He must've been a lovely cat, and bless you for everything you've done to help fight cancer for as long as he could.:alright::hearthrob: