Good report! Cat and bunny situation...

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

So, I don't know how many of you remember that I have a couple of cats (siblings, Sunny and Hobbes) and brought home a bunny about a month and a half ago. Maisie, the bun, is almost four months old now.

Anyway, they've been slowly getting used to each other over the past month and a half, sometimes being TOO curious, sometimes being TOO confrontational, etc. with one another, but mostly putting up with each other.

Well, a little bit ago, I opened Maisie's cage (so she could freely roam around in yet another "getting used to one another" session), and things went GREAT! She grows an astounding amount everyday, and the bigger she gets, the better things seem to be going. I think they view her more as a playmate with the bigger she gets.

She and Hobbes sniffed noses with NO problem almost immediately after she first came out of her cage...it was so cute!

Then a bit later, she was busy shredding and eating cardboard (as buns like to do as a pasttime), so I started playing with Hobbes with one of her longer pieces of hay. He got all playful, and she came out, all curious as to what was goin' on. By the time she came out, he was on his back, playing with the piece of hay on his tummy, and looked at her upside down. It was so cute, too, because then he reached out with his paws (Hobbes is a two-handed player) and tried to engage her in his game! It was so adorable, and SO encouraging!!

This, of course, worried her slightly, as she's still getting used to how they like to play with their paws, but she didn't hide or anything. She just went back into her cage and sat for a minute, trying to process what it meant. (It was adorable watching her think about it.) She then decided (without my having to pet her to reassure her) that it was okay and she wanted to come back out and engage in a game with him again. This time he was sitting on his belly with his back to her and his tail rather close to the open door of her cage. So, she slowly crept up a little to his tail...and GET THIS...he let her sniff it! He turned around, saw her sniffing it, and instead of getting offended and batting at her, it actually got him excited, and he started flicking his tail around a lot, like he does to try to get Sunny to play with his tail!! It was so GREAT!! They actually started playing a little!

A bit later on, she and Sunny sniffed noses, with an accompanying curious paw bat from Sunny, but otherwise better than usual. After their nose sniff, Maisie went racing around her cage all happy, trying to get Sunny to play with her, and Sunny stuck her paws through the cage, and they were actually playing a little! It was GREAT!!

Things just get better every day...it's so wonderful!!

Won't be long now before the three of them are just flat-out playing together...YAY!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah! glad to hear everyone getting to be friends
I used to have a rabbit and it was actually my dog that loved her, he would follow her around and give her baths, it was so cute, but Rebekah (the bun) would actually chase the cat we had at the time, Jericho (the cat) was terrified of the rabbit

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

Hey guys!

So, I don't know how many of you remember that I have a couple of cats (siblings, Sunny and Hobbes) and brought home a bunny about a month and a half ago. Maisie, the bun, is almost four months old now.

Anyway, they've been slowly getting used to each other over the past month and a half, sometimes being TOO curious, sometimes being TOO confrontational, etc. with one another, but mostly putting up with each other.

Well, a little bit ago, I opened Maisie's cage (so she could freely roam around in yet another "getting used to one another" session), and things went GREAT! She grows an astounding amount everyday, and the bigger she gets, the better things seem to be going. I think they view her more as a playmate with the bigger she gets.

She and Hobbes sniffed noses with NO problem almost immediately after she first came out of her cage...it was so cute!

Then a bit later, she was busy shredding and eating cardboard (as buns like to do as a pasttime), so I started playing with Hobbes with one of her longer pieces of hay. He got all playful, and she came out, all curious as to what was goin' on. By the time she came out, he was on his back, playing with the piece of hay on his tummy, and looked at her upside down. It was so cute, too, because then he reached out with his paws (Hobbes is a two-handed player) and tried to engage her in his game! It was so adorable, and SO encouraging!!

This, of course, worried her slightly, as she's still getting used to how they like to play with their paws, but she didn't hide or anything. She just went back into her cage and sat for a minute, trying to process what it meant. (It was adorable watching her think about it.) She then decided (without my having to pet her to reassure her) that it was okay and she wanted to come back out and engage in a game with him again. This time he was sitting on his belly with his back to her and his tail rather close to the open door of her cage. So, she slowly crept up a little to his tail...and GET THIS...he let her sniff it! He turned around, saw her sniffing it, and instead of getting offended and batting at her, it actually got him excited, and he started flicking his tail around a lot, like he does to try to get Sunny to play with his tail!! It was so GREAT!! They actually started playing a little!

A bit later on, she and Sunny sniffed noses, with an accompanying curious paw bat from Sunny, but otherwise better than usual. After their nose sniff, Maisie went racing around her cage all happy, trying to get Sunny to play with her, and Sunny stuck her paws through the cage, and they were actually playing a little! It was GREAT!!

Things just get better every day...it's so wonderful!!

Won't be long now before the three of them are just flat-out playing together...YAY!!
How wonderful!! Just wait until they start chasing each other,and then lay side by side catching their breath! It is amazing AND precious!! I'm so happy for you!!

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its amazing how much they can get along...
I had a bunny also, and a few cats that I took in, or was "babysitting" for a while..

It seems like if your cats can sniff bunny, and stick their paws in occassionally, NICELY of course, then when you let them out, all is fine..

Now I cant say they are best of friends, but they really arent bothered with each other..

I confine the bunny to one room, and the cats will go in there, but when they are bored they go do their own thing..

Amazing isnt it? I think thats the ultimate pet matching combination

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alliread

Its amazing how much they can get along...
I had a bunny also, and a few cats that I took in, or was "babysitting" for a while..

It seems like if your cats can sniff bunny, and stick their paws in occassionally, NICELY of course, then when you let them out, all is fine..

Now I cant say they are best of friends, but they really arent bothered with each other..

I confine the bunny to one room, and the cats will go in there, but when they are bored they go do their own thing..

Amazing isnt it? I think thats the ultimate pet matching combination
I agree...it seems rabbits and bunnies are the best combination I've found so far.