Good or bad wedding gift?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to recieve such a gift. I enjoy cooking and dulled my good German knives in the dishwasher (yes, I knew better
). I think it's a lovely idea for a unique and special present.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

One of the most cherished wedding gifts my husband and I received is a hand-knitted blanket from his great-aunt. It was the last blanket she knitted before she passed away. We can't use it (kitty claws and all), but I want to put it in some sort of display and hang it in the house.

I believe that anyone who has a good heart would appreciate a gift such as you're planning.

Heck, a good friend of mine got married and I gifted her their wedding cake! I drove it 9 hours to get to her too! (See picture here: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Cakes/cake.jpg).
I just posted my reply to the OP, but wanted to comment on your cake. It is absolutely beautiful.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Great gift!

Except, is there a wives tale that you shouldn't give knives as a wedding gift?
I believe there is a superstition about giving knives. It didn't stop a friend of ours giving us a knife as a housewarming gift when we moved in here 20 years ago. But as she came in the door, she handed us the gift, and declared, "you owe me a penny." The superstition apparently allows that as long as money changes hands, it's OK. I'm not a superstitious person, nor is DH, but either it didn't matter, or the exchange of money worked.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Also, I imagine it goes without saying that it would come with the "Lifetime Friend Warranty" as in, should anything by some strange fluke on this knife breeak, I will fix it to pristine new condition.

I was also going to include in the box, a paper insert that I would print up that would contain a concise yet educational description of the knife's components and design, and whatever historical or scientific significance goes along with it. For example, explaining the history of Damascus steel, and perhaps telling about the species of tree the wood used came from, what region of the world that tree grows in, and any other interesting tidbits. Perhaps I could also weave into the description subtle symbolic inferences pertaining to their marriage that would somehow in a positive and uplifting way relate the properties of the materials used, to the qualities of the two of them (beauty of the wood parelling the beauty of the bride, the strength of the metal paralleling the strength of their love, maybe something about the sharpness of the knife being amongst the sharpest objects on earth, but not sharp enough to split the bride and groom apart, the reliability and longevity of the knife paralleling how they can both rely on each other forever, etc. I don't know - I'm sure plenty of that is corny, I'm just spitballing here off the top of my head.
Cool idea! But, I wouldn't do the symbolic inreferences. Just make sure they know you made the whole knife. Personally made gifts are the most cherished, IMO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reception I got from this thread with suggestions that I make this into a business, PMs asking about whether my works are for sale, and whether I can make X type of knife (and asking how much I would charge) has been overwhelming. When I went to get some supplies yesterday like sand paper, epoxy, and more I briefly got into a conversation with the guy ahead of me in line, and it ended with him taking down my contact info because he is interested in me making a fishing knife for him using a special French steel that is extremely rust reistent by having nitrogen in the alloy where the carbon would usually be, so I've decided to make the leap into doing this as a side gig instead of just a hobby, so I now have a dedicated business phone number a web URL and will have a website up within a few days.

I'm psyched that I might be able to take my hobby and maybe make a tiny bit of side money to reinvest into it (upgrading tools, adding tools to give me new capabilities, etc.) I was going to look into business cards today too.

I got some bad news that I might not be able to restart law school this Fall because I need another much more ivasive and painful spine operation that will take a long time to recover from, so this would give me something to do to take my mind off the pain by doing what I love and getting paid a little bit for it. :-)

I guess every cloud really does have a silver lining. This stuff is like meditation to me, working wiith wood and steel in careful detail. Getting paid for it will give me the money to make more and more. How wonderful. :-) it's nice to get some good news during a time of solid bad news.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

The reception I got from this thread with suggestions thast I make this into a business, PMs asking about whether my works are for sale, and whether I can make X type of knife (and asking how much I would charge) has been overwhelming. When I went to get some supplies yesterday like sand paper, epoxy, and more I briefly got into a conversation with the guy ahead of me in line, and it ended with him taking down my contact info because he is interested in me making a fishing knife for him using a special French steel that is extremely russt reistent by having nitrogen in the allow where the carbon would usually be, so I've decided to make the leap into doing this as a side gig instead of just a hobby, so I now have a dedicated business phone number a web URL and will have a website up within a few days.

I'm psyched that I might be able to take my hobby and maybe make a tiny bit of side money to reinvest into it (upgrading tools, adding tools to give me new capabilities, etc.) I was going to look into business cards today too.

I got some bad news that I might not be abke to resstart law school this Fall because I need another much more ivasive and painful spine operation that will take a long time to recover from, so this would give me something to do to take my mind off the pain by doing what I love and getting paid a little bit for it. :-)

I guess every cloud really does have a silver lining. This stuff id like meditation to me, working wiith wood and steel in careful detail. Getting paid for it will give me the money to make more and more. How wonderful. :-) it's nice to get some good news during a time of solid bad news.
Aw, LG! Sorry about the surgery, but good for you to start a side business. Life has a way of taking strange twists and turns!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the surgery, but I'm really glad to hear that this thing that you so love doing may be the thing that helps you through that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

I would say it is a great idea. I like the ironwood for a handle

I am confused.....in my world, blacksmiths shoe horses
Blacksmiths made the horseshoes; farriers shoe the horses.

LawGuy, sorry to hear you need another operation but happy to hear you will be able to spend more time doing something you obviously love.

I personally would consider it an honour if someone gave me such a beautiful gift as that knife. Having said that, it would be important to me to only spend that much love, time and money on something that would be appreciated. If they enjoy cooking then that's wonderful but one time I spent hours embroidering blocks and making a baby blanket for a friend and they didn't appreciate it and ended up ruining it so now I only spend that kind of time and love on someone I know will appreciate it.

As Fran says, I'm envious. As a person who is considered to be a good cook, I would treasure such a gift.