Good News, Bad News - update on Jasper

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I feel like I have lost a battle, and a battle it certainly was.
After all this time I have conceded and am allowing Jasper to be out once a day.
He's out for about an hour or so. I don't feed him before he goes so he won't stay out there, although he has never stayed out for very long. That's the bad news.

The good news is that my neighbor is being very cooperative and puts her kitty in the house so he and Jasper don't fight. We did have one mishap yesterday but it was only for a few seconds and no one got hurt. Over all, it's working about as good as it can. I send my neighbor a text (she gave me her number) when I get home from work letting her know I'm letting him out. She gets her kitty inside for us.

This is about the best I can do. There was a tiny bit of marking Saturday morning but other than that "he's been clean
".

I really wanted this to work, to make him an indoor only cat, but it's just not going to. He's been out there too long and it's just in his blood. I do realize the dangers. Believe me I do. I just can't stand the urine anymore. And Jasper was so unhappy that I wondered what I was doing to him. I ended up having to toss a $400 area rug. I guess I should feel lucky that's all I have lost in all of this.

The other thing is I have taken him off the Prozac completely now. I swear it was making that cat aggressive. This has been a long road. I know it's not the best scenario but hey, I'm an imperfect person with a cat that has to roam. I can say that I will never adopt another outdoor cat. That much I am sure of.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww.
I know it's been a hard road for you. It sounds like this may be a good compromise for you and Jasper both. I'm glad your neighbor is being so cooperative, too! Hopefully things will stay on good terms between you two. Please keep us updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jasper has not sprayed in the house since Saturday (I am knocking on wood).
He begs to go out every morning but I don't allow it. I make him wait until I get home so I can make sure the guy (cat) next door is inside. He (Jasper) seems fine with his outside time right now. I'm hoping it continues.

Also, he seems to be feeling much better, just in general, since taking him off the Prozac. I know it made him sick to his stomach so I'm very glad I was able to stop giving it to him. He is not acting aggressive now, which is very nice for me but must feel even better for him (feeling angry sucks).

My fingers are crossed here. It seems so nice to not have to walk in the house and get the cleaner out (again knocking on wood).
Even better is that my guy is acting more himself than he has in a long time.