Good morning meows?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Puppy doesn't meow very often. He's generally very quiet, and we'd only heard him meow when he's in the car.

Recently, he's started meowing when we get up in the morning. Not true meows, but a combination of mews and a trilling meow. We don't feed him in the morning, and we usually don't have time to play much with him in the morning. We feed him and play with him when we get home in the evening, but he doesn't meow then. Only in the mornings when we roll out of bed and walk into the kitchen. By the time we sit down for breakfast, he's stopped mewing and decided to nap under the table.

Is this a good morning? Is he wanting attention? He doesn't do this when we get home after being gone for 8 hours, so I don't really get what he wants.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely no cat expert, but Swanie meows when he wants attention of some sort (for example, to get me out of bed in the morning). He has a different mew when he's begging in the kitchen. He trills when he's talking to our other cat Cynthia.

I've always thought of the trilling meow as a greeting, because our friend cat Misty used to actually vocalize "purr" when we let her in.

If only someone would come out with a cat to people dictionary!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call Rambo my alarm clock (and some mornings i'm glad i have him...i somehow always turn my alarm clock off!!). I think it's partly that he wants his breakfast, but he also wants his window open (the blinds in my bedroom) so he can keep an eye on those pesky squirrels!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hobbs meows at me as soon as I wake up. The other morning he sat on my shoulder and meowed at me until he woke me up, the first time he has ever done that. I interpret this as "good morning, now can I have my breakfast pls"?????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it's good to hear he's not alone.
I've had cats before that did the "you lazy human, get out of bed!" meows. Princess would get annoyed if I slept in past 9:30. (She also got annoyed if I stayed up past midnight!) I've just never had one that patiently waits for us to get up!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The trilling meow thing is my favorite noise ever. I have seen one cat that would only ever ever do it to his brother cat if he hadn't seen him since his last nap. This cat was a stray for about a year, which makes me think it's a greeting.
Zissou does it all the time, but it is still definitely a good happy noise.
You guys are lucky. Zissou sleeps with me, then sits in my window, and when she decides I need to get up and play with her she sits on my HEAD. Or walks across my neck. Or pounces on my hands. Or bats at my nose. Her favorite though is to jump from the nightstand to as close as she can get to my face so the pillow bounces. And I don't even feed her right when I get up, since she eats dry all night.

alewifebp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Well, it's good to hear he's not alone.
I've had cats before that did the "you lazy human, get out of bed!" meows. Princess would get annoyed if I slept in past 9:30. (She also got annoyed if I stayed up past midnight!) I've just never had one that patiently waits for us to get up!
Mine seems to be the same way. If I stay up to late, she basically tells me, look, I want you to turn the lights off, so please, go to bed! And she has been waking me up in the morning, but not with meows, but by coming up to my head and walking around my pillow.

sweetie's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweetie is my alarm clock! Between 5:15 and 5:45am EVERY MORNING she starts (she doesn't understand weekends!). First a walk around the bed... then sharpening her claws on the pillow. Then a few quiet mews. If I don't get up, she pulls on the covers while trilling - I tell her 10 more minutes!
and roll over, to which she trills an "Ohhhhh!" and jumps down frustrated. Not kidding, 10 minutes later, she comes back. This time a little louder meowing, a little more insistent pawing at the covers. I try petting her to appease her, but oh no... now she's serious - she starts pawing at my face, claws unsheathed, picking at my skin. You'd think I'd learn to get up before it gets painful! Sometimes, though, she misjudges, but always on the early side... I'm not getting up at 4:15... just not...

senga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Magnum hasn't started waking me up yet but Toffee wakes me up during the week before the alarm but not at weekends (go figure
) by kneading on my chest and when you have a 5kilo cat pressing on your throat you get up fast