Good grief, I wish I could

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

besides the 5-L-HTP, you might try kava-kava - it also tends to make me sleepy, altho my friend says it just relaxes her.
where do I buy this stuff from?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

where do I buy this stuff from?
i buy mine either from our local health food store, drug emporium or the vitamin shoppe. that last place has online shopping!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!!!
I'll go on line right now to see about it.Also, I will check our local pharmacy.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear ya about the insomnia and migraines.

If you have a lot of migraines (I get minimum 1/month), try a daily supplement of magnesium. When I remember to take it every day I don't get any migraines. It's a godsend. Chelated magnesium is preferable.

As for the insomnia, I've tried it all. Some luck with Sleep MD, but that's about it... so I can't help much with that... but I just wanted to give you the tip for migraines

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, one other thing: sometimes a high-dose B-complex vitamin can help, and I think part of its benefit has to do with "restless leg syndrome." Sometimes I feel as if I have that all over... and B-complex does ease it.

I'm sorry your doctor won't work with you on this... that seems needlessly rigid to me. But hey, here in Dallas, there's actually a sleep clinic that comes to you! I just remembered this... they bring their equipment and set up in your house! Maybe there's something similar where you are...?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

If you have a lot of migraines (I get minimum 1/month), try a daily supplement of magnesium. When I remember to take it every day I don't get any migraines. It's a godsend. Chelated magnesium is preferable.

As for the insomnia, I've tried it all. Some luck with Sleep MD, but that's about it... so I can't help much with that... but I just wanted to give you the tip for migraines
I get atleast one once a month also.Sometimes more though
I will look for the Magnesium also.Thank you.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, one other thing: sometimes a high-dose B-complex vitamin can help, and I think part of its benefit has to do with "restless leg syndrome." Sometimes I feel as if I have that all over... and B-complex does ease it.

I'm sorry your doctor won't work with you on this... that seems needlessly rigid to me. But hey, here in Dallas, there's actually a sleep clinic that comes to you! I just remembered this... they bring their equipment and set up in your house! Maybe there's something similar where you are...?
I have RLS.
I take Requip every night to help with that.Add to it, my GERD and then the insomina, and I am a mess.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Thanks for the hint about magnesium. I get about 2 to 3 migraines a week. Yes, that's alot!!! I want my doctor to let me try beta blockers for them, but she's stalling me on it. My Imitrex prescription co-pay is $45 for 9 tablets, which usually lasts me 2 weeks. I plan to see if I can find some tomorrow and start taking it. Anything to lessen those darn things!!!

P.S. What's Sleep MD?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sleep MD is a new sleep aid that Wal-Mart is selling.It's not real cheap, but not to expensive either.Ask the pharmacy to help you find it.
Imetrix did nothing for my migranes.It made me
so now I am on Amerge and it seems to help.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Sleep MD is a new sleep aid that Wal-Mart is selling.It's not real cheap, but not to expensive either.Ask the pharmacy to help you find it.
Imetrix did nothing for my migranes.It made me
so now I am on Amerge and it seems to help.
be sure to read the ingredients on the sleep MD - i did, & i didn't want to take it [can't remember why, now...]
the imitrex tablets also make me
i use the injections & the nasal spray. preferably the injections, as the nasal spray tastes really yucky! i'm also on Topamax as a preventative [BTW, Topamax as a side effect of weight loss! i haven't seen it, but others have.]

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first ingrediant is the same thing as I *believe* Benedryl.Not sure though.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Magnesium and a Stress B-Complex every day... i get a lot of nasty muscle cramps in my feet and legs, and the Magnesium helps a lot... my acupuncturist told me (after Iwas taking one 250mg tablet a day and not getting the best results) to keep upping the dosage until you get 'the runs' then back down one level. I alternate between one pill and two, each morning.

The stress-b-complex is great as well... combining those has helped me a lot... I take my melatonin time-release every few nights, instead of every night... I'm doing pretty good... not perfect, but better than I used to!!

Amanda

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get atleast one once a month also.Sometimes more though
I will look for the Magnesium also.Thank you.
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Thanks for the hint about magnesium. I get about 2 to 3 migraines a week. Yes, that's alot!!! I want my doctor to let me try beta blockers for them, but she's stalling me on it. My Imitrex prescription co-pay is $45 for 9 tablets, which usually lasts me 2 weeks. I plan to see if I can find some tomorrow and start taking it. Anything to lessen those darn things!!!

P.S. What's Sleep MD?
Glad to be of help

But before you go out and buy magnesium, just wanted to add this:

Make sure you buy either chelated magnesium or magnesium citrate. Both have worked very well for me. Magnesium oxide (which is the standard magnesium... check the back of the label and it'll say oxide) works also, but it can give you stomach problems. Not dangerous... lets just say you'll want to be near a bathroom
The citrate and the chelate don't do that and have better absorption rates. I know all the vitamin stores and health food stores sell both the chelate and the citrate... but if you're buying it at like walmart or something, they usually only have the oxide.

Also, like any supplement, it takes time to build up in your system before it works completely. So if you still have a migraine after a week or so, keep taking it. Since I get migraines once a month, I can tell you it worked after a month... started taking it after one migraine, never got the next month's migraine... but it may work faster than that... I just can't prove it

I take this one - serving size 3 pills daily, which is 400mg... but I've also used this one.

Oh and try to avoid the cal/mag combos. When you get migraines it's partially due to the imbalance of calcium and magnesium in your system... so if you take more of both, you won't correct the imbalance. You'll want just the magnesium.

(Can you tell this is a hobby of mine?
)

HTH!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions but i just wanted to add that i hope you find something that works for you well soon so you can get some rest
Feel better hon!!!
((((sleep vibes
))))

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually have problems with not sleeping (sorry!) When I went through my depression phase I slept too much. Sleep has always been my escape. Hey, cheaper than drugs! I still have recurring anxiety issues (its called life
)

About once a month, sometimes more, I have times when I am too wound up or anxious to sleep. I use KavaKava to relax. You can get it in capsule form or make it into a tea. When I cannot sleep I take one capsule and it helps me to relax enough to fall asleep.

When I first started taking it, I would have the most lovely dreams
But that doesn't happen any longer.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to say thanks for the magnesium tip, too -- that sounds like something that might help my mom and me. She has migraines almost every day, and she takes huge amounts of calcium because of her exreme osteoporosis, so an imbalance sounds very likely. Thanks!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I wanted to say thanks for the magnesium tip, too -- that sounds like something that might help my mom and me. She has migraines almost every day, and she takes huge amounts of calcium because of her exreme osteoporosis, so an imbalance sounds very likely. Thanks!
Glad to help

Is she also taking Vitamin D? That helps with osteoporosis because it helps calcium absorption.

http://www.healthcastle.com/vitamin-d-bone.shtml

HTH!