Good fish - Bad fish ?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if its caused by human grade fish, IMO its best to try to keep away from all types of fish based foods for your cat. Better safe then sorry and if you don't get them "hooked" on fish, you never really have to worry about is

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Even if its caused by human grade fish, IMO its best to try to keep away from all types of fish based foods for your cat. Better safe then sorry and if you don't get them "hooked" on fish, you never really have to worry about is
That disease is not caused by cat food with fish... You gotta do what works for your kitty

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, I was just questioning the wisdom of feeding Orijin 6 fish. I don't do Fancy Feast, but they love Tiki Cat canned.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BoomerKitty

LOL, I was just questioning the wisdom of feeding Orijin 6 fish. I don't do Fancy Feast, but they love Tiki Cat canned.
oohhhhhh
Go without fear my friend - should said before!
If your cat doesn't have a history of URI, Orijen 6-fish is AMAZING, one of the best foods out there...
IMO THE best.
Oh, I forgot - Tiki Cat is safe too! Good and yummy stuff!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BoomerKitty

Personally I'd choose to stay on the safe side and not feed fish. You do not want to have a cat hooked on fish. You don't know what the company is really doing behind the scenes with fish, what is used to preserve the fish etc (or any pet food for that matter). Fish is also NOT a natural food for cats. Yes, some cats do have to be on a fished based food due to allergies, the ones that don't need to shouldn't be fed that way IMO.

Orijen loves to say that they get their fish from unpolluted lakes and won't tell you which one(s)...something is wrong with that.

A lot of the bigger fish (ex: salmon) are not something you want to deal with. Even if it is wild. Most likely it has a a too mercury content and PCB, not something you want. I do think that Orijen has salmon in it. They say that their fish are delivered fresh daily...uh-huh right. Wild salmon is not caught year round. I have to wonder about that one too. If it were available year round your looking at farmed salmon and not wild caught.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

Personally I'd choose to stay on the safe side and not feed fish. You do not want to have a cat hooked on fish. You don't know what the company is really doing behind the scenes with fish, what is used to preserve the fish etc (or any pet food for that matter). Fish is also NOT a natural food for cats. Yes, some cats do have to be on a fished based food due to allergies, the ones that don't need to shouldn't be fed that way IMO.

Orijen loves to say that they get their fish from unpolluted lakes and won't tell you which one(s)...something is wrong with that.

A lot of the bigger fish (ex: salmon) are not something you want to deal with. Even if it is wild. Most likely it has a a too mercury content and PCB, not something you want. I do think that Orijen has salmon in it. They say that their fish are delivered fresh daily...uh-huh right. Wild salmon is not caught year round. I have to wonder about that one too. If it were available year round your looking at farmed salmon and not wild caught.
Many will disagree with saying NO fresh year round
... they just are wild from a different region

I do agree with >??ing marketing as I wont eat ANY Fish that spends the majority of life cycle in a lake or river

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Maybe I will call them and ask which lakes. They have been forthcoming when I called for other information. Tell ya what, I am just glad it is all sourced in north America. Other companies you don't have a clue where the meat comes from. We aren't even allowed to know the country of origin in human meat.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Personally I'd choose to stay on the safe side and not feed fish. You do not want to have a cat hooked on fish. You don't know what the company is really doing behind the scenes with fish, what is used to preserve the fish etc (or any pet food for that matter). Orijen's fish is fresh, so this don't apply. Fish is also NOT a natural food for cats. Yes, some cats do have to be on a fished based food due to allergies, the ones that don't need to shouldn't be fed that way IMO.

Orijen loves to say that they get their fish from unpolluted lakes and won't tell you which one(s)...something is wrong with that. It seems that once I posted in another thread that it was a great food all you do now when you read their name is to automatically bash them
. Maybe it is coincidence... Instead of doing that IMO it would be far more constructive to post correct information and first hand experience with the food... Do you have experience with this food? I forgot, you don't...

A lot of the bigger fish (ex: salmon) are not something you want to deal with. Even if it is wild. Most likely it has a a too mercury content and PCB, not something you want. Salmon is in the list of LEAST mercury or PCB problems. In fact it is in the list to be enjoyed without fear or concern. Furthermore, Salmon, as well known is one of the healthiest foods out there. I do think that Orijen has salmon in it. They say that their fish are delivered fresh daily...uh-huh right. Wild salmon is not caught year round. That is why They don't produce year round; if they can't get fresh fish, they cut production. They go out of season for the 6-fish - IF YOU KNEW Orijen before attacking them, you would know that, wouldn't you? I have to wonder about that one too. If it were available year round your looking at farmed salmon and not wild caught. Again, it is NOT available year round... but... IMO you are more concerned in attacking them then knowing them...
BoomerKitty:
Orijen is really a fantastic food, as I am sure you know by now - it seems you are doing your research... FYI - Not only I researched this matter and this food and Company like a nut case because of Bugsy, but I have first hand experience with the food. Plus, I know quite a few other people who do too.
As far as dry food goes, it is really hard to beat Orijen. They really go far to make the best dry food possible. It is awesome to see what they do - is it perfect? No, but NO FOOD IS. For dry, IMO Orijen is really on the top. And you know what, go outside of TCS, do your research everywhere... You will see what I mean

It has been WONDERFUL for my crew - nothing but wonderful.
As pointed above, it does go out season, especially in harsh winters, so if you feed it you need to ask the store, or the company when they are pulling out to stock up - that is actually the only issue I had with it... But it was ok - I just made sure to stock up for the months ahead.
My store is Pet Supplies "Plus", and they are pretty good in telling me when they are going to go out.
I will never EVER be afraid if feeding that food.