Good Dry Limited Ingredient Diets?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by kady05

I've actually used pumpkin for my other cats before, and it has helped firm them up. Although I didn't think it was good to use it for long term cases? I've given Brody (the kitty in question) Bene-Bac as well, which has seemed to help.
I'm not sure how using pumpkin long-term would be any worse than using a food that lists peas as the first ingredient. It might be worth trying anyway, even if it's just for a short time.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm...not sure why wet food...esp. the small amount you describe, would give him a reaction, unless he was allergic to the ingredients in it (or, like you said, just has a sensitive stomach).... Could he possibly be allergic to a grain in the food/s? For a while I thought that my cat might be allergic to corn, but still not sure on that score...

Since he usually does ok on the rabbit, maybe try a can of the EVO 95% rabbit... I know that some other sources have rabbit canned food...wysong comes to mind....

I am in a similar situation to you, in that I can't get a wide variety of foods locally, I had to order the EVO and the cal. natural (I tried) online... You might be able to get coupons or samples of the foods if you email the companies...wellness sent me a sample of CORE and their salmon-based dry when I contacted them...maybe a sample (about 1/4 cup) would be enough to see if he had an immediate loose stool reaction to it...

HTH,
Art

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may be allergic to grains, who knows. I had never thought to try a grain free food to see if that helped.
I might call the vet Monday and ask about allergy testing.. just to see what I'm looking at cost-wise.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update. I took Brody to the vet today, stools looked good under the microscope. I gave my vet the info. on the Tritrich parasite as well. He had heard of it before, but did go and look it up to get more info. on it. The treatment for it is kind of scary (neurological issues can happen because of it, and some other things), so we decided to use that as a last resort. Especially since he did improve somewhat with the diet change.

Anyway. We decided to treat him with a low dose of Prednisone (5mg once a day for a week, then every other day til finished, I have 20 pills) to see if that helps. He's thinking it could be inflammatory bowel disease. So, no diet change right now (don't want to throw another wrench into the situation), and hopefully the prednisone helps him out!

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding my Lucas natural balance green peas and duck formula because I thought he had food allergies, but he doesn't. He is eating it anyway and he likes it a lot.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your baby! I will be sure to post here about how my treatment goes, to let you know if my kitties have a reaction to the medication or not. I don't want them to have diarrhea forever, and we know that they are positive for Tri trich. If you end up with it as your last resort, be sure to test for it first. You don't want to medicate your kitties with that stuff unless you have to.

I hope it works out for you! At least you have a bunch of other food options to try if you need them now.

kady05

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Good luck with your baby! I will be sure to post here about how my treatment goes, to let you know if my kitties have a reaction to the medication or not. I don't want them to have diarrhea forever, and we know that they are positive for Tri trich. If you end up with it as your last resort, be sure to test for it first. You don't want to medicate your kitties with that stuff unless you have to.

I hope it works out for you! At least you have a bunch of other food options to try if you need them now.
Thanks
Vet said we'd definitely order the tests and test for it if we decided to go that route, so no worries there. Hopefully this prednisone will help him out.