Good diet Cat food?

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you've tried multiple lite or weight loss formulations and you still have one overweight cat, he's very likely a compulsive eater like my cat Pico. Although it is EXTREMELY inconvenient, the tried and true method for weight loss in cats is scheduled feedings. I agree that locking up your cats throughout the entire day is not an option, however, feeding them portions in the AM and in the PM will ensure that the obese cat is getting the proper amount.

A bit of history.... Pico is a very large cat with a vertical reach of 3 1/2 feet and at his heaviest, he was 18 lbs. He became a compulsive eater after we adopted our 2nd cat (who's a skinny little thing). For fear of diabetes and other associated health problems, we decided to put him on a diet and on scheduled feedings. Over the course of a year, he gradually lost 2-3 lbs (significant for a cat), and his energy levels and ability to wrestle improved. Using this method, he has maintained his weight for a full year and is doing wonderfully. I should note that my boys are never starving or hungry, so I would highly recommend scheduled feedings for weight maintenance if you can do it.

It's also important to be cautious with the recommended portions on the pet food labels. Although a lot of companies care about your pets, they are also in the market to sell more pet food, so IMHO, these portions are often over-inflated. Couple over-feeding with decreased activity levels indoors, and there are way too many overweight/obese domestic cats in this world.

During his weight loss, Pico was fed Nutro Indoor Complete Care Weight Management and now that he's on a normal % fat RX food for UTIs and is still able to maintain his weight.