Good Dematting Tool??

k9lover67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does any one have a good recommendation for dematting tool besides furminator. I have a Maine coon that gets matted fairly quickly.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't help with a tool because if  matted I just shave them down. What I can say is the furmonator should not be used on a matted coat - it isn't a dematting tool. A clean coat will not mat as easily as a dirty one - if you and your cat can tolerate it, try a bath once in awhile after getting the mats out.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two de-matting tools. The one on the right above is my fav. The other is green handle on left. It's not that great. The one on R is much easier to use and cheaper, and imo, it works better too...it's Safari's W556 comb. I also use Safari's W563 (pictured in middle) in conjunction for daily grooming and both of them together keep matts away. The other safari de-matting comb is big with 5 sharp jagged teeth but I can't remember the exact name if it. It's got a heavy duty rubber grip handle and it is honestly a pain in the butt to use. Since you have to unscrew the teeth to brush in a different direction, I avoid using it unless it's a bad Matt. The other two I listed above are really all I need.

Last edited:

jan nelson

Jan Nelson
Kitten
Purraise
228 Westwood Dr., Franklin, North Carolina 28734
Hi, 

We adopted a 16+ year old Tortoise cat named Tabby.  She is a sweetheart.  Unfortunately she has a lot of mats on her tummy and now she needs a bath.  I read that the mats should be removed before bathing her.  (Going to see if the local pet store sells the comb for removing mats.  I've read that if I use Dawn to bathe her, it should be diluted with 1/2 water & 1/2 Dawn.   

When bathing your cat, do you use the bucket method (1 for soapy water; 1 for first rinse and 1 for final rinse); or which method works best?

(Oh we also adopted 2 other cats from the same household.  The lady died and her son sent all the cats to Animal Control).  The other 2 are gray tabbies with short hair,

and they are sweet also.  (Peek-a-boo and Puddy-Tat). 

Really need advice!  Thank you in advance!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi, 

We adopted a 16+ year old Tortoise cat named Tabby.  She is a sweetheart.  Unfortunately she has a lot of mats on her tummy and now she needs a bath.  I read that the mats should be removed before bathing her.  (Going to see if the local pet store sells the comb for removing mats.  I've read that if I use Dawn to bathe her, it should be diluted with 1/2 water & 1/2 Dawn.   

When bathing your cat, do you use the bucket method (1 for soapy water; 1 for first rinse and 1 for final rinse); or which method works best?

(Oh we also adopted 2 other cats from the same household.  The lady died and her son sent all the cats to Animal Control).  The other 2 are gray tabbies with short hair,

and they are sweet also.  (Peek-a-boo and Puddy-Tat). 

Really need advice!  Thank you in advance!
Yes the mats need to be removed before the bath or they will tighten. I use the kitchen sink  and a sprayer for the bath. The sink because it is high enough not to hurt my back (tough getting old!) and a sprayer because you can hold it against the cat so you don't have the noise of the water as loud. The sprayer works better for rinsing the soap out than just dunking the cat into water. My suggestion is to trim the claws first if the cat isn't used to being bathed.  While bathing keep the cat turned away from you so they can't climb you. I would be very hesitant about bathing a cat 16+ years old if she isn't used to it.  Perhaps a dry shampoo would be better.

jan nelson

Jan Nelson
Kitten
Purraise
228 Westwood Dr., Franklin, North Carolina 28734
Thank you Lynda.  I just discovered our 16 year old cat Tabby does not like water!  (I tried to use a bucket in the bathtub.  She jumped out and ran away). 

Really like your suggestion about the kitchen sink for the 8 year old gray tabbies (they are sisters). 

Think you are right about a dry shampoo for Tabby, bless her. 

Thanks again Lynda.  I appreciate your help. 

Janiam2

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Can't help with a tool because if  matted I just shave them down. What I can say is the furmonator should not be used on a matted coat - it isn't a dematting tool. A clean coat will not mat as easily as a dirty one - if you and your cat can tolerate it, try a bath once in awhile after getting the mats out.
Agree with the Furminator not being a dematter, it can pull the skin and really injure cats. 

I have to disagree a little with your clean coat vs dirty coat though. Some cats have such thick fur in areas that it can be a challenge to get all the way through. I speak of my cat, Sansa, she HATES being touched and groomed but she LOVES to rumble and play so the knots build up quickly. She grooms the surface of her coat but it's just so darn thick that the undercoat gets left out. The best thing we found is just to buzz it all off. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"I have to disagree a little with your clean coat vs dirty coat though. Some cats have such thick fur in areas that it can be a challenge to get all the way through. I speak of my cat, Sansa, she HATES being touched and groomed but she LOVES to rumble and play so the knots build up quickly. She grooms the surface of her coat but it's just so darn thick that the undercoat gets left out. The best thing we found is just to buzz it all off."

These two are the heaviest coated cats I have and since they get a bath once a week I only have to comb them before the bath and check the coat every day. Hence my statement a clean coat does not mat as badly as a dirty one. The silver has what we call  a cotton coat - meaning it is the type prone to matting. Think about human hair - it gets oily and sticky feeling when needing to be washed - so tangles more easily..

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they get a bath and daily look over then yes it will appear not to mat as quickly but most people don't have show cats and don't bathe them frequently, if at all. Even a daily session with my cat proves trouble and since I am aiming for positive experiences I cannot simply bathe her. Those cats are quite impressive looking though. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If they get a bath and daily look over then yes it will appear not to mat as quickly but most people don't have show cats and don't bathe them frequently, if at all. Even a daily session with my cat proves trouble and since I am aiming for positive experiences I cannot simply bathe her. Those cats are quite impressive looking though. 
All I was saying is that the bath could also be a grooming tool to reduce matting. Using the right tools (combs not a brush ) will help with long hair too. For the record, the silver girl is not a show cat. I showed her to championship but she wasn't a good enough  to continue farther. She is my pet and the mother of the golden pictured. About half of my cats have never been in the show hall.

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just purchased the 4 Paws Dematting tool, the one posted earlier in this thread. 

I hope it works. 

My 2 year old cat just recently started getting matts. At first it was just one, and I cut that off with scissors. But now she has them everywhere. 

I've considered buying a cordless shaver and giving her a lion cut or somesthing, but those things cost over 100 bucks. So I will buy the dematting comb and hope it works for now. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have two de-matting tools. The one on the right above is my fav. The other is green handle on left. It's not that great. The one on R is much easier to use and cheaper, and imo, it works better too...it's Safari's W556 comb. I also use Safari's W563 (pictured in middle) in conjunction for daily grooming and both of them together keep matts away. The other safari de-matting comb is big with 5 sharp jagged teeth but I can't remember the exact name if it. It's got a heavy duty rubber grip handle and it is honestly a pain in the butt to use. Since you have to unscrew the teeth to brush in a different direction, I avoid using it unless it's a bad Matt. The other two I listed above are really all I need.
I agree, I also use the one on the right and have found it to be very helpful for grooming.  It's called a greyhound comb but it was recommended for my Persian and I love it.  

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I received the 4 Paws dematting tool and it's not the greatest for tough mats but what I notice is how a great a tool it is for grooming in general.

The toughest mats will have to be cut out, but I notice that often when I comb gently through my cat's hair the tool will pick up a matt here or there. So it does remove matts but not the really bad ones.

The best part of the tool is that it's great on short hair cats too. I have the the "Shedmonster" and I rarely use it. My cats don't seem to like it and it doesn't pull a lot hair anyway. except on the tail. This 4 Paws tool gets a lot of loose hair out effortlessly and my short haired cat loves it. It's real grooming. My cat is getting her fur combed, nice and neat, and I'm deshedding her at the same time. On my long hair cat, the 4 Paws is probably going to prevent a lot of matts from forming in the first place.

Overall I like it, but I wish it had something to it where some of the teeth of the comb were actually sharp.