Good commercial foods for IBD cats?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving cats probiotics.  I have had all of mine on them for years.  there are several thread here about which are the best...here's just one of them:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262587/probiotics-search-human-grade-and-cfus

Call the breeder and ask if he's had loose stools all along. It's very possible there's something in the DRY food that's causing it, since he's had it since the day you brought him home.  Or rather than IBD, could be a food sensitivity to one of the ingredients in the Friskies.  I would definitely try food changes before thinking this is IBD. 

stacim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the helpful responses. Right now, he's on the Proviable probiotic , but I will definitely look into all the threads to try to give him the best that I can.

Are there any recommendations for a less expensive food option that might work for him? I looked into the Nature's Variety Instinct and it's over my budget ($1.79 per can). Right now he eats about 2 cans a day plus his dry food . I could give it a try, but I don't think I would keep him on that food for the long term. He's a big growing boy and eats ALOT.

I had thought about doing a home cooked food diet with Ezcomplete when I was preparing to get my kitty, but never did it. Also, I haven't fully looked into how much that would cost per month. Do you think something like that would help with his sensitivities? If I am going to be spending a lot our for his food, I would rather make it myself, but would preferably find a reasonably priced food that will work for him.

Thank you again.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Merrick makes a limited ingredient food. Don't know your budget, or Merrick's price in your area.  Also, you might even try Fancy Feast CLASSICS.  They aren't limited ingredient, but you might not even need that, really.  Maybe try the FF Turkey and Giblets and see what happens. 

He's just adorable, BTW

stacim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update. I switched his food to Fancy Feast turkey and giblets combined with Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and rice for kittens and he's shown great improvement. He also still takes one capsule of the Proviable probiotic sprinkled on his food everyday. His stools now look normal and are way less smelly. Thank you so much for all your help!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to post an update. I switched his food to Fancy Feast turkey and giblets combined with Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and rice for kittens and he's shown great improvement. He also still takes one capsule of the Proviable probiotic sprinkled on his food everyday. His stools now look normal and are way less smelly. Thank you so much for all your help!
so glad to hear this!!! happy dance time!!

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apologies if I'm re-asking questions. I have another thread going, but I just seem to be confusing myself a bit. I've narrowed down my list of "good" canned foods to these. Am I correct? They contain no guar gum/carrageenan and are low in carbs? This is what I'm looking for for my cat while I continue to do more research. At this point, I'm taking him off dry completely. He is still a kitten and has been getting canned combined with dry when he was in his foster home and then when he transitioned into my home. Anyways, just want to make sure I'm doing this right:

Rawz (don't know anything about this food or where to get it from though)

Feline naturals

Nature's variety instinct

Any others? Again, without the garbage fillers, gums, carrageenan, and low in carbs. Perfect food? lol non existent?

I'm also looking into EZ complete and doing more research on that. Not sure if I can buy that in Canada...one step at a time. I feel a little overwhelmed. I find its so much easier with dogs...

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My apologies if I'm re-asking questions. I have another thread going, but I just seem to be confusing myself a bit. I've narrowed down my list of "good" canned foods to these. Am I correct? They contain no guar gum/carrageenan and are low in carbs? This is what I'm looking for for my cat while I continue to do more research. At this point, I'm taking him off dry completely. He is still a kitten and has been getting canned combined with dry when he was in his foster home and then when he transitioned into my home. Anyways, just want to make sure I'm doing this right:

Rawz (don't know anything about this food or where to get it from though)

Feline naturals

Nature's variety instinct

Any others? Again, without the garbage fillers, gums, carrageenan, and low in carbs. Perfect food? lol non existent?

I'm also looking into EZ complete and doing more research on that. Not sure if I can buy that in Canada...one step at a time. I feel a little overwhelmed. I find its so much easier with dogs...
That's a pretty good list. Some instinct varieties have peas, which are hit or miss with some IBD cats. Another options would be Ziwipeak, although it does have agar-agar, which is also hit or miss. You can get EZ in Canada, but shipping is a bit more. Feline Naturals is probably the best right now, but it's pricey and the cans aren't super high in calories so feeding costs a bit more. You may also have success with some freeze dried foods. Feline Naturals has freeze dried, Instinct Raw Market, Primal, and Stella and Chewy are all some that work well for some IBD cats.