Good cat foods according to my awesome vet (& update on Garbanzo)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella's_Mum

I am just changing my 6month old kitten over to Natures Menu wet food and was going to buy James Wellbeloved dry, lady in the pet store said there is another premium dry food called Burns, anyone know whether it's good or not ?
Burns is a pretty good food imo but it does have a higher grain content than I'm happy with so my dry food of choice is James Wellbeloved (but I only feed a very small amount of dry food as my cats are fed mostly wet food).

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To the OP, you're from Vancouver Island which is one of the best places in Canada to find the BEST foods out there. I personally wouldn't feed anything on the list your vet provided you with, and I'm sure you could do much much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

To the OP, you're from Vancouver Island which is one of the best places in Canada to find the BEST foods out there. I personally wouldn't feed anything on the list your vet provided you with, and I'm sure you could do much much better.
Not from Vancouver Island, actually, although I love visiting the Pac NW
. I'm in North Carolina, and boy do I miss the West coast!

Just so ya'll know, my vet isn't being bought and paid for by a pet food company. They don't hark certain brands at their clinic. I haven't seen one marketing brochure in the rooms or the lobby. She told me she was basing her opinion on the experiences that her patients have had. I'm sure there are bad things about SD, and good things about Iams, but from her experiences, most cats have done really well on SD and very poorly on Iams. It's probably safe to say that she's not a nutrition expert, but it seems like basic common sense to me that if she's seen a lot of cats do well on one thing and poorly on another, she'd share that knowledge with an inquiring patient.

That said, I'm not one to buy into anything without my own research first. It's one of the reasons I'm here at TCS! I've been reading endless food threads here, and since I live in a larger city in NC, we're lucky to have some specialty stores here. I haven't had the time to visit yet, but I can't wait to see what I find.

Thank you everyone for your insights... like I said, it's so educational!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck in your food search! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosyC

Not from Vancouver Island, actually, although I love visiting the Pac NW
. I'm in North Carolina, and boy do I miss the West coast!
Oops, I must have seen someone elses location and thought it was you... sorry!

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do think about Authority brand wet food? I feed Nutro kitten dry to my 10 mo old male and he likes it just fine. As I posted in a different post -- he definately prefers fish based wet food (will only eat a couple bites if it is poultry based.)

Anyhow I gave him Authority kitten Turkey and Giblets last night and he gobbled it up -- I look at the label and the 5th ingrediant is "Ocean Fish" -- no wonder. It is hard to escape the fish in wet cat food. I think I'll stick with this brand for while since he likes it and the fish is pretty far down the ingredient list. He also likes Meow Mix wet and I noticed all their "poultry" meals have fish in it as well.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't believe what vets say when it comes to dog or cat nutrition.
I have heard most of them get kick backs from Science Diet.
I don't think that Purina, Friskies, Iams and many of them are very good.
I like California Natural myself.
I don't think there is any such thing as a good grocery store brand is there?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From a breeder's perspective:

I asked what Charlie's breeder was feeding as we have always fed Iams. She too used ot use Iams but they've changed and its not as high quality as it once was.

She feeds Royal Cain dry with Fancy Feast wet. Considering that she's had the top ocicats in the country for at least the past 5 yrs (I think a few more then that) and had the #1 Best Kitten Nationally/2nd Best Cat (same cat) Nationally last year and will have a top Regional/National winner again this year; I would say she knows what she is doing.

Plus the fact that her husband is a veternarian

I'm feeding ours now with the Royal Cain and the Friskies - but I'm a little choosy on what Friskies I'm using

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

I just don't believe what vets say when it comes to dog or cat nutrition.
I have heard most of them get kick backs from Science Diet.
I don't think that Purina, Friskies, Iams and many of them are very good.
I like California Natural myself.
I don't think there is any such thing as a good grocery store brand is there?
good grocery not unless you hit on a low grain organic
... decent grocery some have in the wet market come out

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've seen some at Mississippi but they are even more expensive then then the canned Innova Evo I buy at dog days and guess what.... they have grain. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/rolleyes.gif. Money... Money.... Money is whats driving your vet. Honest, my vet is the same as yours. Survival is a strong instinct in all of gods creatures, you can take away the sences and the era of the beginings of time but the law of nature will prevail http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet promotes science diet so much that they even have a little shop that sells inside the office. I think companies that makes SD, Iams, etc, actually gives some sort of kick back to the vet so that it would be the vet's advantage to get you to buy because it means more money for the vet. I read articles about AAFCO has very low standards so practically any kind of pet food will pass so I wouldn't trust that "approval" either.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just a FYI on science diet-i use the adult formula and theres no bht,bha or ethyquin. Its preserved with mixed toc(never mind wont attempt to spell
and citric acid. does have chicken by product meal. I know this brand is viewed as just above grocery store offerings, but I have all 25 willingly eating and doing well on same thing-so really can't complain.