Good brush for cat with no undercoat

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Moe has an unusual coat. His fur lies very close to his body and he doesn't have the fluffy "undercoat" that my other cats have. I use a slicker type brush for the two that have very thick undercoats, but I can't use it on Moe because the wire bristles go straight down to his skin and scratch him. I've tried using a soft bristle brush on him, but that just seems to slide over the surface of his coat and doesn't take off the loose hairs. I'm wondering if a brush with rubber teeth might be the best option for him.

Anyone else have a cat with this type of coat? What do you use to groom?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he long haired or short haired? Either way, try a comb!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is short haired. I have a comb with rotating teeth...works great on my long haired cats with dense coats, does nothing for Moe. And it goes straight down to his skin, so he doesn't like it. I also have a flea comb. It does take off some of the loose hair. Takes forever to do him, though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You might try a flea comb that has very fine teeth with rounded ends. There shouldn't be anything sharp enough to scratch his skin. I have one similar to this but I'm pretty sure I bought it at Walmart or PetSmart for a lot less. I've never had to deal with fleas, but it works great on feline acne or just generally touching up my shorthair cats.