Good brands of food?

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I'm new here. It's been a while since I've had cats and I just turned in foster-to-adopt paperwork for two kittens at the humane society. I know they feed Science Diet with a bit of "mash" (what is that?) for the kittens. Should I stick with this, and substitute canned food for the mash? What brands are good?

Also, what nutrient levels should I be looking for in kitten food? And what ingredients? I can rattle off all this stuff for my rabbits but I feel dumb not knowing this info about cats. I'd really like to make sure they're getting good nutrition because they're only about 8 weeks old.

Thanks for your help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mash could be kitten glop ... the recipe is on this site I believe under the Pregnant cat and kitten forum... I am far from a kitten expert but SD is not my choice but you may need to as they are foster s... do a quick search on this site about nutrition and youll get loads

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm still wading through the articles and threads I'm pulling up through the search.

I'm doing foster-to-adopt because my hubby and I want to make sure that all heck doesn't break loose when my four rabbits see the cats. We're pretty sure we'll be able to handle it, but the foster thing is in case something really bad happens and we find that it just won't work. My rabbits are my babies and they came first. The fostering will only last for a couple of days and then we'll officially adopt them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh that is different ... Canned is better than dry .... Raw / Homemade is hard but the best ( I only recommend this if you have a vet who knows about it and is knowledgeable)

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Petsmart, Pet Supply Plus, and Pet Supply Outlet in my town. Plus the normal Walmart and such, but I'm assuming that they don't sell anything I want to buy for my animals.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would recommend (from Pet Supplies Plus) Innova (regular), Eukanuba or Royal Canin. From Petco: Natural Balance, and from Petsmart: Spa Select.

I feed Eukanuba kitten b/c of the low grain/high protein content

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At those store s the ones I would look at ...
Nutro Natural choice
Natural Balence the venison one
Royal Canin read the labels ...

IMHO Eukanuba is $$$$ pricey grocery leval food compare it to One and youll see what I mean

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What am I looking for on the labels? Low grain content and... what? I looked through the articles on the main site here and couldn't find that info. What are the nutrient levels and ingredients I should be looking for? For example, with rabbits I know to look for certain protein and fiber percentages, what type of hay was used in the pellets, and if grains are high on the ingredient list. Are there any articles you could recommend for me?

I'll look tomorrow and check those brands out. I'm guessing I should wait till they settle in to change their food? I think the shelter sends sample packs home, but I too busy asking about vaccinations and microchipping.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't go any less than 36% protein on any kitten food. Make sure that there is no corn gluten meal (as it has no place in cat food) or tons of vegetables (although it looks good on paper, it isn't good for carnivores). I am fine w/ feeding by-products, which is why I have no problem with Eukanuba. That is up to your personal discretion.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

I wouldn't go any less than 36% protein on any kitten food. Make sure that there is no corn gluten meal (as it has no place in cat food) or tons of vegetables (although it looks good on paper, it isn't good for carnivores). I am fine w/ feeding by-products, which is why I have no problem with Eukanuba. That is up to your personal discretion.
Corn gluten meal is okay as long as a Chicken ... lamb or beef meal is primary ..I dont like corn gluten meal but it is acceptable whearas by products , grd corn ( the whole thing that can be labeled many ways isnt to my liking unless it is way down the list) Chemical preservatives ( they can hide under vitamin type names ) soy , wheat are less than acceptable .. I avoid lamb but that is a personal thing and many animals do fine ... It is used to adjust ph in cat food and helps UTI health.... I do agree with the veggies...