Good adopters vs bad

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not so much a question but a discussion. Really would love to hear from other people on their thoughts on what answers a good adopter might give vs a bad, as well as personal experiences Also share questions you have asked through email, on the phone, or in person with a potential adopter. The reason I bring this up is because I think it's funny when just about anyone thinks they will get a kitten when they come in for adoption. My brother recently wanted not one but two of my kittens who are now just about done with having any blue in their eyes and their back teeth are coming in so they are about 8 weeks, what really made it clear that he was going to be a bad owner was that he has a new girlfriend an he would keep bring up he wanted the kittens for her over and over. To me even if I didn't know him that would raise red flags because that made me think that he wouldn't be getting them for him but instead for her. He also has done this with 3 of his other girlfriends, he gets them a kitten, they break up, the girlfriend takes the kitten and then we call the shelters from around the area and find out the girlfriend has turned them in. The only one he kept he gave back to us. The other issue I've had this week is with parents sending me emails about adoption and in the question form I give out it asks 'Who will be taking care of this pet?' and 2 of them so far have said we want to teach our 6 or 8 year old girl responsibility, which is also an auto turn down for me.

Would love to hear other peoples stories,

Thanks, . 

dovah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like you seem to have a good idea of what will and won't be a good home from what you wrote above. I've been asking around for potential homes recently as well and I am maybe being too discerning but the way I see it, better safe than sorry. If you get bad vibes it's probably not a good match!

dovah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, one thing I've been doing is avoiding yes or no questions. Get the potential adopter to explain themselves by framing your questions differently. You'll get much more information that way. I like to talk to people on the phone, too.