Going to the vet with your cat

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumper cries, his nose gets really pink and his fur flies everywhere but he generally quiet well behaved, he may walk a few feet and sniff stuff while waiting but thats it

Magnum runs in circles howling in his cage, needs to be dragged out by 4 people, held down by said 4 people so he wont bite or scratch and is generally a complete pain in the

Boomer isn't great in a cage, he wants to walk around but if we do let him out he gets scared and manages to work his way under the front seats and is impossible to get out. Once at the vet he just sits in my lap looking depressed wondering when we can go home but is an angel for everyone (he just likes to make me feel bad for doing such a thing to him)

Scully used to cry and run around in his cage also, but once he got to the vet he would be so scared he would poop on the examining table, with his new vet (and after getting used to the shorter ride there after a lot of vet visits in the past few months) he is very patient. We don't usually have to wait in a waiting room so he plomps his butt down in the window seat and waits for the vet int he examining room. Then he gives everyone kisses etc... he can still be a pain to get out of the carrier at times though

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnum runs in circles howling in his cage, needs to be dragged out by 4 people, held down by said 4 people so he wont bite or scratch and is generally a complete pain in the

No Not Magnum that handsome boy

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the 1st time we took her to the vet she didn't cry at all in the car, or while we were there..... till the vet stuck her with a needle, then she started with the meowing.... and now she doesn't ever want to even go outside.... she will desperately try to claw her way to the door to get back in. It's like she's hip to their tricks.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine are all similar - they complain, loudly, all the way there. then, silence, for the most part, after we arrive.
Pixel turns into Miss Submissive, hiding her head under my arm whenever possible, but never fighting.
Java & Cable explore the exam room [actually, they did this the last time we went... things may change next time - Cable's due for a visit in the near future for her yearly shots... we'll see]
Chip hasn't been since i got him, but on the way home from adoption he complained loudly & defecated in the carrier
i don't expect vet visits to be much fun.

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny this topic came up now. It's vet season for me and this weekend it was Emmie and Missy's turn. I had yowling in stereo all the way there. They were both very good with the vet but Missy had peed in her crate so they bathed her. Missy was great with the bath which really shocked me as I haven't bathed them since they were kittens. The ride home was much quiter, just a meow or two.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the only one of my current bunch that I have taken to the vet is Pandora and she screamed the whole way there, but then she screamed the whole way home from picking her up, I know Antigone must have had a headache when we finally arrived home
so I think with her she just is not a fan of car rides, and then when we got to the vet, it was her chewing an clectrical cord and shocking the crap out of herself, they rushed in to the back ASAP so I don't know how she did. Simon was very friendly, he would rub himself all over the vet and tech, purr up a storm, explore the examination room,he was a very good boy
although he hollered in the car too

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both cats like their cat carriers and sleep in them when they're left out, so getting them into the carriers isn't an issue. During the car ride Spike cries and yowls for the entire trip; Oz is pretty much silent, but he tries to stand in his carrier (there's plenty of room) and gets motion sick. He'll eventually lie down and look around, although he can't see out of the window (it's too high up and he weighs too much for me to lift both him and the cat carrier up so that he can get a view).

At the vet, Spike is pathetic. He slinks around the exam room, belly low to the floor, and hides whenever he gets the chance. He is completely silent, doesn't hiss or cry or growl, and when he gets picked up and placed on the exam table, he tries to make himself one with the table-top. He doesn't bite or claw, he just tries to disappear. It's the saddest thing in the world, because our vet is so sweet to him and normally he's such a people-person that I would have expected him to enjoy the fuss made over him.

Oz, on the other hand, is king of his world and he knows it. He struts out of the cat carrier like he owns the vet office, saunters up to the vet and demands to be adored, and watches the birds they have in a cage on the counter. Sometimes the vet can't hear his heartbeat because he's purring so loudly! He doesn't like to be poked or prodded, but he puts up with it because he always gets loved on afterwards -- by the vet, by the vet tech, by random people taking their own cats to the clinic ... He's very smug about the whole thing.

We usually try to bring both cats together, because Oz has a calming effect on Spike. Although Spike is scared, he seems to think that if Oz is okay with the whole situation, it can't be too bad. (It was the same way when we moved into our new apartment. Spike was terrified, and Oz did a few laps of the apartment, concluded it was all his, and took a nap.)