going to the bathroom outside of litter box after litter is changed

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's about the gist of it! My oldest cat, Freya (who will be three this summer) has been going to the bathroom outside of the litter box every time we change the litter. This has been happening on and off for two months now and I'm not very sure why.

She has no problem going into the litterbox any time other than when we change the litter. At first we thought it was because the box might have gotten too dirty for her or maybe it was a UTI or she didn't like the litter, but we finally narrowed it down to her going to the bathroom in my room AFTER the litter is changed. She doesn't go near the box, she goes in my room. :(

We were wondering if our other cat, Mimi, was in the litterbox when Freya needed to go but sometimes mimi will be sitting with my mother when Freya pops a squat in my room. But we can't fully rule Mimi being in the litter box out.

What do I do? :( we have very limited room which means squeezing in a second litterbox is going to be nearly impossible as we could only out it in my closet. Which is not preferable... Because my clothes are in there, but I'll find a new place for them if I absoluteky must.

I know the multiple cats = more litter boxes rule but it's not a viable option for us really. Please help?

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
That's about the gist of it! My oldest cat, Freya (who will be three this summer) has been going to the bathroom outside of the litter box every time we change the litter. This has been happening on and off for two months now and I'm not very sure why.

She has no problem going into the litterbox any time other than when we change the litter. At first we thought it was because the box might have gotten too dirty for her or maybe it was a UTI or she didn't like the litter, but we finally narrowed it down to her going to the bathroom in my room AFTER the litter is changed. She doesn't go near the box, she goes in my room.

We were wondering if our other cat, Mimi, was in the litterbox when Freya needed to go but sometimes mimi will be sitting with my mother when Freya pops a squat in my room. But we can't fully rule Mimi being in the litter box out.

What do I do?
we have very limited room which means squeezing in a second litterbox is going to be nearly impossible as we could only out it in my closet. Which is not preferable... Because my clothes are in there, but I'll find a new place for them if I absoluteky must.

I know the multiple cats = more litter boxes rule but it's not a viable option for us really. Please help?
have you tried changing the litter right after she pees/poops in it? or leaving a little bit of old litter in it on top?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have you tried changing the litter right after she pees/poops in it? or leaving a little bit of old litter in it on top?
Oooh no, I haven't thought of that. Obviously we keep some old litter underneath the new litter unless we do a big clean with it.

Oh! I forgot to add, we do sprinkle baking powder into the box then mix it in with the litter when we change it because... my girls are stinky. Would that cause an issue?

We have not changed it after Freya uses it but I am very willing to do so. Especially if it helps with her to stop using the bathroom in my room after we change the litter. Huff!

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you say you're changing litter, do you mean a different brand/type of litter? Or just fresh/new litter from the same bag/box?

My cat Nora will immediately use the litter box after I do a complete clean (dump all litter and scrub the box), and I always thought it was because she needed to re-mark her territory.

Maybe your cat gets confused once it's been cleaned out? I would suggest placing your cat directly onto/into the litter box once it's been cleaned out, to remind her that, that's her litter box, and maybe she'll "re-mark" it as well.

Just some ideas :)

Last edited:

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say you're changing litter, do you mean a different brand/type of litter? Or just fresh/new litter from the same bag/box?

My cat Nora will immediately use the litter box after I do a complete clean (dump all litter and scrub the box), and I always thought it was because she needed to re-mark her territory.

Maybe your cat gets confused once it's been cleaned out? I would suggest placing your cat directly onto/into the litter box once it's been cleaned out, to remind her that, that's her litter box, and maybe she'll "re-mark" it as well.

Just some ideas :)
Oh no! We've only changed our litter brands once and that was about six or seven months ago? I am taking Freya to the vet tomorrow just to get everything checked out and make sure she's ok. Im really hoping its nothing health related!

But yes, when we don't do the big cleans, we just scoop and add litter. We also sprinkle in a little baking soda. I am so more than willing to try out any suggestions! And I thank you so much for your advice! :D

Fingers crossed my baby is just being stubborn. Even if it happened to be a minor health issue I would still feel so bad as her cat mommy!

Now comes the waiting game to see when she goes into the litter box since I need to bring in samples.

Last edited:

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Follow Up!

Took Freya to the vet today and after some disastrous events in which my poor baby peed everywhere, they checked her out and said she is perfectly healthy. :) the vet thinks she might not feel as if the litter box is her territory so she suggested getting another one to put in my room as that is the problem area.

It's been a rough day for me and my furbaby! She had to do her two most hated things today: go to the vet AND get a bath. I'm just thankful she's okay.

I'll keep all your advice in mind, though!