Going to look at a Condo tomorrow, wish me luck.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wanting to move for a long time, but today I happend to find a condo that I consider affordable in a decent neighborhood. SO I am going to look at it tomorrow. They do allow cats, but I have to see if I am limited by the condo association. Send lots of I hope it works out vibes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tons your way. I know how hard it can be to find housing you like, esp. with multiple cats!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck!

When I bought my condo the rules just said cats allowed they didn't give a number. That was five years ago.

The rules the published this year say only 2 are allowed. This made me laugh because I know of at least two unit owners who are over the limit.

Just ask but don't volunteer any numbers.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw an article this week that said that condos were really going cheap in a lot of places. They talked about areas that had many good ones for less than $25,000. Of course, those tend to be in the overbuilt areas, such as Florida and Las Vegas.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!

I am a condo owner, so just a couple pieces of advice:

1. Make sure if you can, that the condo is in a good area, the building is not too old, and you don't have crazy neighbors.

2. Find out what your homeowner's fees will be compared to what they actually DO for you.

As you may be able to tell, I've had problems with my condo in the past.
I bought mine 8 years ago, and have barely made a dent in the principle on my 30-year loan, and I've been unemployed so I'm worried about foreclosure. I've had FIVE across-the-hall neighbors and four of them I swear were certifiable. The man who lives right below me CALLED my home phone one night, saying "Oh, I was just looking at the phone book and saw your number." Really? He has always given off a bit of a "stalkerish" vibe to me. He's older, widower, a grown daughter, so I figure he's just lonely, but... always kind of creepy to me. I pay almost $200 A MONTH in homeowner fees, and getting maintenance to come out for anything is like pulling teeth.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be Captain Bringdown here, just make sure you educate yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.

Mystik, I know what it is like to have bad neighbors. I live in a small one bedroom apartment right now & at one time there were 4 adults & 2 children living in the unit next to mine. There were constantly people coming and going. At one point I had a guy living downstairs from me that was up parting at like 3 AM on a weeknight. I pounded on the floor & he had the guts to come up & knock on my door. Thanks for the advice. I am taking my Mom with since she owns a condo and knows all of the questions to ask.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get serious about this one, ask for a copy of the association declaration and rules and regs, and read thoroughly before you sign anything. Ask for a copy of the financials - make sure the association has plenty in reserves and keeps up to date on maintenance. A falsely low association fee is really bad - all nice until something breaks and there's no money to fix it. See if they have a history of special assessements - see above. Ask about percentage of owners behind in assessments - and believe me, your mortgage company will also be asking these questions, so the association should be responsive here. If not, walk away.

Ask to see the current owner's utility history, so you know how much bills may range - this can change, as a retiree probably will use more electricity than someone who works 60 hours a week outside the home.

Maybe call the local police department and see what they say about the area - sometimes they'll at least say if there are more calls than average in particular subdivisions.

Visit the association at different days and times - see how quiet it is, how well kept the area is, etc. I know it seems tacky, but see what the cars look like - pretty good shape, well maintained even if older - not that nice people don't have beaters, but a whole neighborhood of beat up, uncared for cars is not a good sign, IMO.

Ask about rentals - if allowed at all (I'm not a big fan of that, although we do allow them here), see if it's only to a certain percentage, and that lease terms are for at least a year, so you don't have churn.

If you're preapproved for your mortgage, in this economy, you hold the upper hand - don't rush into anything. When I bought, the market was not quite at its height - I didn't have a lot of time to think before making a bid....you probably will have a chance to do research, so take advantage of it.

Also, should you buy, I really do recommend making an effort to attend board meetings, etc. Owner apathy is what really hurts a lot of associations.

Having said that, this is a great time to buy - but take your time at it, and good luck