going to get all the cats fixed soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got her locked up but she had plenty of time to mate. about 7 or 8 hours she was out for

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can i still get her fix even if she pregnant? 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you know the procedure? or a website that talks about it?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

nothing more difficult than a cat with experience 
the funny thing is she have't had experience with kennels or crates so i must had didn't lock it or something

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

do you know the procedure? or a website that talks about it?
"Spaying can be performed at any time during the course of pregnancy. Often, the owner is unaware that the cat is pregnant. If there is any question, make it clear to your veterinarian what your wishes are should your cat be found pregnant. The incision can be closed and the pregnancy can proceed or the spay can proceed and the developing kittens will be removed along with the rest of the uterus. Due to extra work and surgery time, most veterinarians will charge an extra fee for spaying a pregnant animal. Some veterinarians will not knowingly spay a pregnant animal after a certain stage of pregnancy. At my hospital, we are commonly asked what to do about newly adopted stray cats thought to be pregnant. As we work with numerous rescue groups, we are keenly aware of the pet over-population problem. We encourage spaying of strays or newly adopted female cats regardless of pregnancy. There are simply too many kittens without homes as it is"

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=602

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will a low cost spay and neuter do it? or do i have to take her to a vet?  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isn't very far along, it's no big deal. My vet said it's actually easier to do an early pregnancy spay/abort than to spay a cat in heat. Once she's farther along, it's more involved. But she shouldn't be very far along yet, or not pregnant yet. Most cats get pregnant between January-March, so maybe she's one of the later girls. But do make her appointment soon! And lock that carrier door! ;)

Yes, most low-cost places will do pregnant spays. Especially if they aren't very far along.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i thought i did lock it, my dad would kill all of them if she had a litter. let just say i don't know what i would do.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Just catching up with this thread now.

Matt, I think you should just take Mama Cat to the vet and get her spayed as soon as you can. She may have mated while she was out, but cats don't always get pregnant on the first mating. Even if she did it's only been....what? ....2 days? That's not going to make her spay any more difficult. If a cat is a couple of weeks along or more then the incision will be bigger but at this stage the fertilized eggs will be tiny, it can just go ahead like a normal spay.

It takes a few days for the sperm to find the eggs. The eggs don't travel to the uterus and begin to grow until the 2nd week of the pregnancy. If you can get her spayed within the next few days it will just be a regular spay operation. Do you still have an appointment for her at the low cost spay and neuter clinic? If not, call them and say it's an emergency and see if they can fit her in.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are only open on Wednesday and fridays. my mom took a day off yesterday to take them in, and she not going to take another  anytime soon

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i removed the ad for the kittens, but i am going to put it back up again, is $50 or $60 rehoming fee reasonable? they had their distemper and rabies shots too

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

$40 for the females and $60 for males
more for the males?

i will say that the local shelter here charges a $67 adoption fee for cats. but a local rescue group usually charges a $100 adoption fee for cats. 

obviously, it depends on the local market, but you will want to recoup your costs plus whatever convenience fees you feel should be added on. after all, you and your mom did the legwork -- transport, etc. 

the new pet parents won't have to do the spay/neuter or the initial vaccines. 

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

more for the males?

i will say that the local shelter here charges a $67 adoption fee for cats. but a local rescue group usually charges a $100 adoption fee for cats. 

obviously, it depends on the local market, but you will want to recoup your costs plus whatever convenience fees you feel should be added on. after all, you and your mom did the legwork -- transport, etc. 

the new pet parents won't have to do the spay/neuter or the initial vaccines. 
thanks i will add $10 each for gas

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your dad will kill the kittens/cats, it seems pretty important to get the mother cat spayed. Is there a way you can get alternative transportation, or work out a deal with the local vet? Or try to find a home for the mother cat before more babies make an appearance?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like you've still got a bit of time then. make sure she can't get out and get her to the clinic whenever you can. Is there anyone else who could give you a ride? A neighbour, friend from school, anyone like that?
i sure hope so