Going raw for Jo and would love some supervising!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how exciting! :clap: :clap:

I'd pass on the cheese and milk, personally. My goal in feeding raw is to feed a cat a diet that mimics what they'd naturally eat, and unless they live on a farm and are encouraged to drink milk, most cats don't drink milk or eat cheese products after they're weaned. But that may not be your goal in feeding raw - in which case I'd just skip the cow cheese. Also, the yogurt won't really have enough probiotics in it to make much a difference, if that's the goal of feeding it... :dk: I provide my cats a probiotic supplement daily, but that's only because in the wild, they'd get a dose of "probiotics" every time they ate a mouse by consuming the small intestines and colon - which I don't feed my cats, because I don't feed whole prey.

How much does she eat at a meal now? A cup sounds like an awful lot of food. I have all adult cats, and they used to eat about one 5.5oz can of food a day. On raw, they eat about 4.5 ounces of food. I split that into three meals a day, and this is what one meal looks like:

In terms of volume, it's probably 1/8 of a cup per meal? :dk: A six-month old kitten will definitely eat quite a bit more, but...

You might find this helpful: http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/raw-feeding/a-frankenprey-and-whole-prey-feeding-guide/

When feeding home made whole prey model raw (which is basically what you're proposing), the guideline is roughly 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ - most use kidney, because it's easiest to source. Hearts and gizzards are not secreting organs, but muscle meats. These are typically balanced out over the course of a week, not at each meal. I put this out there, only because you say you're considering 10% meat with bones - but I don't know that that gets you to the right amount of calcium. There's a discussion of bone-in meals in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250358/feeding-ground-raw-questions (The question was in relation to feeding a ground diet, but the discussion about calcium and amounts in what parts of chickens is still applicable).

The fish oil IS the omega supplement, though egg yolks are also rich in omega 3s....

And I have to run, but I'm sure others will chime in! (Sorry, without power after "megastorm.").

But you can do this without a grinder and most likely without a food scale - though they should be easy to access and they don't cost much. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Last edited: