Going Out of Town for 2-3 Weeks

gusandzoey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I have two cats - One is about 3.5 years, the other 1.5 years.  We are planning on being out of town for around 2-3 weeks this summer.  I am planning on having a cat sitter/friend come by every day to feed, water and play with them a little bit.  I'm also planning on setting up some sort of kitty-cam because I just love my cats so much :) My question is, will our prolonged absence damage my relationship with the kitties?  One of them is particularly affectionate - he snuggles and sleeps with us.  I'm worried that if I'm gone for a long time they won't remember me or like me as much.  I know this is a silly question but it's something I'm concerned about. 

Thanks for any advice!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not a silly question,but the short answer is no, in the long-term this is extremely unlikely to have any effect on your relationship with your cats.  They may be a bit standoffish once you come back for a few hours or days, but this won't last, and soon they'll be acting like they always do.  And they may shower you with affection when you come back too- it really depends on the at and their personality.

Good luck finding a good sitter :)

shmopsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we went away for 2 weeks, our cat was a bit standoffish for a few days and mewed at night which he doesn't normally do. But after a few days, he went back to normal. The only thing that changed was that he became food obsessed to the point that we could not leave dry kibble out for him anymore because he would inhale it all right away and he started cruising our kitchen counters. We had a sitter come in once a day to feed and play with him, but I wonder if she didn't feed him enough or if she didn't come every day like she was supposed to. So my only advice would be to make sure that you have a trustworthy sitter and the cats will be just fine.

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be a good idea to ask that the sitter send you pics of your kitties each day they go and visit, and give a short update to you, like a text msg with a phone if you know they have one.

A kitty cam would also be great, just so you can peek in anytime you missed them, but I may not tell the sitter about that part, lol. ;-)

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most likely they'll be a little standoffish when you return... and you might have a couple of potty accidents.... One of my cats is notorious for peeing in suitcases when ever he see them...

I was gone for three weeks once and got accepted back very quickly into the house.

As long as you have a good, trust worthy sitter, everything will be fine. :)