going out doors

tizzlah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't know where this thread ought to have gone so i thought plonking it here would be okay...

So in 2 weeks Leo gets his 2nd set of jabs, and can then go outside...
How do people introduce their kittys to the big outdoors?

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with this, but I would say that if your yard is enclosed and safe for kitty, just open your door and allow him to go out if he so chooses. Otherwise, maybe you could train him to wear a harness and take him out under your supervision.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do people introduce their kittys to the big outdoors?
In my case, first I make sure the kittens respond to my voice and come running when I call. Then I sit on the steps leading to the garden. The kittens would be curious and wander not very far, looking back seemingly to make sure I was there. After a couple of days of this, I start walking around the garden. The kittens would be quite confident by now and begin exploring. For a week, I go with them on these "supervised" walks, calling them once in a while to make sure they come. After that, the outdoors (well, it's the garden) is theirs.

By the way, be sure your cats are spayed/neutered! 

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only let them out when hungry, to start with.  But before letting them out think carefully about how safe where you live is - how close are busy roads for example?  Also think about if your back garden could be made escape-proof so they have the best of both worlds.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my case, first I make sure the kittens respond to my voice and come running when I call. Then I sit on the steps leading to the garden. The kittens would be curious and wander not very far, looking back seemingly to make sure I was there. After a couple of days of this, I start walking around the garden. The kittens would be quite confident by now and begin exploring. For a week, I go with them on these "supervised" walks, calling them once in a while to make sure they come. After that, the outdoors (well, it's the garden) is theirs.
By the way, be sure your cats are spayed/neutered! 
Just curious since I'm trying to train my kittens. How do you train them to come when called?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious since I'm trying to train my kittens. How do you train them to come when called?
Try giving treats in the beginning when you call them. Good ole' Pavlov training
.  One of my cats comes when I call him. I'm not sure why he listens, he just does. He seems like he's happy to hear from me lol.  My other kitty doesn't even know his name

They are inside only so it doesn't matter.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, guess I'll have to get some treats. We've been working on using their names repetitively while loving them up. One seems to have gotten the idea, but the other is either a slower learner, or too smart for that.
Any other suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tizzlah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The area we live in is fairly quiet.

Its away from the city, there is one "main road" that all the little roads come off... nothing terribly busy. theres a field behind us, and seems to be plenty of kitty friends for Leo to make out side. 

He already races us to the front door.... trying to get a sneak peak... Also when the kitchen door is open he runs out and sits by the back door too.... I think he is intrigued by the out doors... whether or not he'll like it, I don't know. 

I plan to have him on a harness for the first few times, get him to recognise his garden and his home... 

I'll have make sure he knows his name... 

would feeding him or treating him everytime we go back indoors a good idea? 
 Also, it is illegal in many states and counties, so, the cat might be shot by the general public or the authorities.
^ I live in the UK... This isn't a problem. :) 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also live in the UK.

My previous house was in a quiet cul-de-sac in a quiet village and my neighbour knocked my cat over, driving on autopilot to pick up his girlfriend.  It was broad daylight.

I continued to let my two existing cats out as they would have been distraught kept in.  When one of them died a couple of years later (possibly from FIV picked up fighting) my two new kittens were not allowed to roam free.  They are 5 1/2 now and love going in the back garden which they can't get out of.

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The area we live in is fairly quiet.

Its away from the city, there is one "main road" that all the little roads come off... nothing terribly busy. theres a field behind us, and seems to be plenty of kitty friends for Leo to make out side. 
Do cats make friends with each other when they are strangers? I thought they are more likely to fight off a new-comer.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't make friends the way people do.  Some cats are outgoing and social with others, most manage to rub along ignoring each other, and some fight any other cat they come across.  It's bad news for Leo if he meets one of the later ones.

Read my previous post about what happened to my cat that fought.  He was just over 7 when he had to be pts.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did read about your cat, and I'm sorry. That must have been terrible.

IMO, out of all the reasons that someone would want to let their cat outside, doing it so they can make friends with other cats doesn't seem like a good idea. There's no telling how any of the cats might react, and if it ends badly, well...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tizzlah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No no no, the reason for doing it isn't so he makes kitty friends its so he has more space to do his running around and get more exercise. Our house isn't big enough for him to get enough exercise, coz he gets going and then theres a wall... 

Perhaps other cats will stop pooing in our garden if Leo gets out there and makes his mark! 

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh. I thought that when you said that there "seems to be plenty of kitty friends for Leo to make out side" that it was another reason for wanting to let him out.

I think your kitty will be very happy outside. Some good points have been written here; they'll all help to ensure he's safe.