Going on vacation! What should I do for my cats?

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am going on a 3 week vacation this summer and I have a 1 year old cat and a kitten. I can't afford boarding them as I can't afford it. They are inside/outside cats. They figured out the dog door... Should I leave them and have someone check on them everyday?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can keep them indoors only while you're gone and have someone check on them daily it will be much safer for them. Do you have someone dependable to look out for your kitties while you're away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is currently 6 weeks my other cat is the mom. I am thinking of having somebody petsit at my home. What do you do when you go on vacation?

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've petsit for my friend's cats before. I would go to their place every day and feed, clean the litter, and take out the trash. Sometimes I would be in and out in 10 minutes and sometimes I would stay for an hour or more with the cats. I once did this for 3 months every day. Like @loveofcats  said, finding a dependable petsitter is your best choice. 

It's good you have two cats to keep each other company. However, I am concerned about your 6 week kitty... Since you have a kitten, I think I would rather find someone who can care for the kitten in their own home for 3 weeks, or invite them to stay over at your house for those 3 weeks. 

I'm scared the kitten would not be friendly when you're back (correct me if I'm wrong! I've never had a kitten) and/or tear up your home because of how little supervision there is in those weeks. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveofcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see your point. I think the best thing would have someone stay at the house full time.