Going off hormones (May be TMI)

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
That's amazing that you found a doctor who would give you a hysterectomy at 24, children or not.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is for women to get a simple tubal ligation nowadays. My aunt, who recently had her fifth -- yes, FIFTH -- child was scheduled for hers right after she gave birth to her last, and the doctor STILL wouldn't stop asking her if she was sure. She said, "I've had FIVE children; do you really think there's ANY chance I want to go through this again?"
  There's a big difference in just not wanting to get pregnant and the unspeakable PAIN that you are experiencing from endometriosis - not to mention the emergency situation you could find yourself in if you have a blood cyst that breaks.

With Endometriosis you get scaring -- each time you have a period you also bleed in other parts of your abdomen which causes great pain!  With each period you get more scaring that will bleed with your period, -- and on and on it goes unless you are able to stop the process - most develop cysts that could rupture at any time - causing internal bleeding.

So, that's why a doctor would be willing to give a 24 year-old a hysterectomy.  30 years ago they were trying drugs, etc. to slow the scaring - pregnancy was one solution - though temporary - that is IF you could even get pregnant, which would be difficult.  Personally - I waited until I could wait no longer due to a cyst that was developing.  I was suffering almost 25 days of the month - in bed - on Excedrins - before I gave in at 37.  I documented my health, and the reasons why I decided on not taking drugs to slow the disease, as well as why I decided on the surgery - it sure isn't an easy decision even IF you aren't planning on having children. 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's amazing that you found a doctor who would give you a hysterectomy at 24, children or not.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is for women to get a simple tubal ligation nowadays. My aunt, who recently had her fifth -- yes, FIFTH -- child was scheduled for hers right after she gave birth to her last, and the doctor STILL wouldn't stop asking her if she was sure. She said, "I've had FIVE children; do you really think there's ANY chance I want to go through this again?" :lol3:
:)   There's a big difference in just not wanting to get pregnant and the unspeakable PAIN that you are experiencing from endometriosis - not to mention the emergency situation you could find yourself in if you have a blood cyst that breaks.

With Endometriosis you get scaring -- each time you have a period you also bleed in other parts of your abdomen which causes great pain!  With each period you get more scaring that will bleed with your period, -- and on and on it goes unless you are able to stop the process - most develop cysts that could rupture at any time - causing internal bleeding.

So, that's why a doctor would be willing to give a 24 year-old a hysterectomy.  30 years ago they were trying drugs, etc. to slow the scaring - pregnancy was one solution - though temporary - that is IF you could even get pregnant, which would be difficult.  Personally - I waited until I could wait no longer due to a cyst that was developing.  I was suffering almost 25 days of the month - in bed - on Excedrins - before I gave in at 37.  I documented my health, and the reasons why I decided on not taking drugs to slow the disease, as well as why I decided on the surgery - it sure isn't an easy decision even IF you aren't planning on having children. 
Oh, I completely agree with you!! I'm not knocking young hysterectomies -- I think ANYONE should be able to make that decision for themselves if they are over the age of 18, especially in the face of things like endometriosis. I don't think doctors should get to decide who gets to have their reproductive organs removed or modified and who doesn't simply based on age -- that should be left up to the individual -- but sadly, that's what happens many times when young women and men go in for tubal ligations, vasectomies, and hysterectomies.

Didn't mean to turn this into an IMO thread -- sorry, Pam!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That's OK.....it's been an interesting conversation and I appreciate that. Lots of things for me to consider.

Thank you! Will keep you updated as I go on!