Going behind my husband`s back!

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About a month ago a orange crying cat was coming around, then disappeared for weeks. Well, it is back and sits on my porch and other peoples porches and cries early morning, and at nightfall. It has on a flea collar..but seems to have no where that is sleeps at night. It is either a hunger or want attention cry. I went out and stooped down and talked to the cat and it reached its paw and a petted my face! I have 2 cats of my own, hubby said that it is a great cat, but don`t feed it. After a week I ignored him and nightly slip out a bowl of food, and I see him eating it every night, and hear no more crying. All in all it does not cost me much to spare some food for this cat, and I will continue as it will likely depend on it. It might have been dumped, our gated mobile home park is a popular dump site for cats. Anyway the cat eats and then leaves.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awwwww. If it is an allll orange tabby it is more then likly at boy. Hopefully it is a boy or fixed or it may just be bring you kittens soon
good luck with the kitty!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Princess Purr
awwwww. If it is an allll orange tabby it is more then likly at boy.
Hmmmm, that's a new one...My boy, GoGo's mommy and sisters are "All Orange Tabbies" -

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get close enough to it, and it trusts you enough, would you try and remove the flea collar? A cat outside and a collar is a dangerous deal, unless they are breakaway collars of which flea collars are not. Also, if you take the collar off and the cat belongs to someone they will more than likely get another flea collar (even though flea collars are worthless) and then you will know if it belongs to someone! (aren't I sneaky?)
But this cat will have to be awfully trusting before it will let someone that close.

Good luck and please keep feeding it-

Kim I love your new cartoon! LOL

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read some where that a very high % of orange tabbies are males. Like alllll orange tabies not the kind with white feet and white chest. But that kind that are solid orange tabby. I don't think i have ever seen a girl orange tabby.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not common, but there are girl orange tabbies. Most are boys, though. All calicos and torties are girls. I believe it is a sex-linked gene.

BTW Tillie is all orange, but has no stripes, except on her face. I have never seen an all orange cat before!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mom of 10 Cats
It's not common, but there are girl orange tabbies. Most are boys, though. All calicos and torties are girls. I believe it is a sex-linked gene.

BTW Tillie is all orange, but has no stripes, except on her face. I have never seen a color orange cat before!
Sue: Very interesting Cat Factoids. Tillie sounds cool....all orange no stripes. I'll have to shoot a pic of GoGo's mommy some day and post it next to GoGo. She looks like a mini GoGo, about the size of his rear leg, LOL!.

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! You are such an
for feeding that kitty!

And, just in case anyone is interested . . . color like that is sex-linked. It is carried on the X-chromosome. The most common two forms of the gene are black and orange. A male, since he has one X and one Y, can only be either-or. A female can have both, one on each X-chromosome, in which case she would be a tortie or calico, depending on other genetic factors. A male can only be a calico if he has a genetic problem, I believe, like having two X's and a Y. I don't know about being an orange kitty with no white at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This particular cat that I am feeding is all orange. And, good idea about the flea collar, I will remove it. If it has a flea problem and seems to belong to no one I will put advantage on the cat, because fleas can kill if infested, a cat could get anemic. I am being generous because I found out about getting advantage on the web for cheap. Linda

kai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by AuroraViva
Awww! You are such an
for feeding that kitty!

And, just in case anyone is interested . . . color like that is sex-linked. It is carried on the X-chromosome. The most common two forms of the gene are black and orange. A male, since he has one X and one Y, can only be either-or. A female can have both, one on each X-chromosome, in which case she would be a tortie or calico, depending on other genetic factors. A male can only be a calico if he has a genetic problem, I believe, like having two X's and a Y. I don't know about being an orange kitty with no white at all.
Male calicos do occur, but it is incredibly rare and they are usually sterile and exhibit many female behavior patterns.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was mistaken, I got a better look at the cat when he snuck over for his meal, and it has a white chest.One of my cats was going nuts, because it heard cruching of food going on, and she stood in the window looking down, poor thing was confused about a cat coming to her yard and eating! But I told her we have to be charitable! Years ago my first ever cat(Toounces), a white persian simease w/a few tortie markings, had a litter of kittys, and the only one that died was a boy calico, we wewe heartbroken.Linda

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Linda, you are wonderful for taking care of this cat. Hopefully you'll know soon whether he's a stray or does belong to someone. Do you know if you'll be able to keep him if he is a stray?

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly the answer is no, because not only do I have 2 of my own, but the rule im my mobile home park is 1 cat, they do not know about the other one, luckily they look alike, sneaky, huh? If they ever found out I am sure they would be ok with it, as the 2nd cat has never gone outside in the 9 months that I have had her. Anyway, I have the feeling someone in the park might take it in, I am glad it is spring and not winter right now, so I don`t have to worry it getting cold. Linda

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, lots of caring people are looking out for this cat. I found out today that 2 other neighbors are putting out food for it, so 3 of us are feeding it. I hope we don`t make it fat. When it first came around it did not look skinny or fat, just healthy... maybe we are all being conned!! Anyway, I don`t know why it is not in its home at night if it has one, I don`t think cats should be out all night catting around. Linda

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something....removing the collar was a GREAT idea since it could get hung...but someone should see that it has a break-away collar on at all times...if not then someone may see it without anycollar and think it's some stray noone cares about and take it off....that would be sad. Good luck with kittie!

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am afraid to post up fliers, because we live in a mobile home park, and if the managers are made aware of it they will trap the cat and take it to the pound, that is what they do when they do not recognize the cat as one of the tenants.And if I ask about it being someones, that would also make them aware...so, that idea is out. Linda