Goats milk for older cats?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Crumbs is always so interested in my food when it's something milky, like ice cream - it's one of the few things she reliably gets excited about eating these days. I don't like to give her more than a few licks though for fear it will upset her stomach. I often see goats milk mentioned here as being good for kittens or weak cats who need extra nutrition. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to offer it as a treat/supplement/appetizer? Crumbs is 17 and has fairly advanced kidney disease.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry no one responded before now.  Goats milk is absolutely ok to give cats, although I will admit that NONE of mine seem to like it
  You can also get Catsip and other similar products at Petsmart or Petco.  I almost bought some yesterday for MY senior, but since she has never expressed any interest in what I'm eating, other than cheetos, I decided it would be a waste of money.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

Crumbs is always so interested in my food when it's something milky, like ice cream - it's one of the few things she reliably gets excited about eating these days. I don't like to give her more than a few licks though for fear it will upset her stomach. I often see goats milk mentioned here as being good for kittens or weak cats who need extra nutrition. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to offer it as a treat/supplement/appetizer? Crumbs is 17 and has fairly advanced kidney disease.
also, Lactaid makes lactose-free ice cream, but i have frozen Catsip for a cold treat.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goat's milk is good. In my opinion, live goat's yogurt is even better because of the good bacteria in it.(unless you can get raw goat's milk). Any of the three options are a gentle and easily digested source of nutrition. In fact, I'll be getting some yogurt for Asha tomorrow to settle a mild tummy upset. She loves the stuff :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I've bought some goats milk to try and see how she likes it. 

I have used Catsure before, for Niko when she was old and sick. It worked pretty well for her, but Crumbs liked to sneak some of it for herself, and she often threw up afterward. So I don't think it will agree with her any better now. I'm hoping the goat milk will be easier on her stomach.