Gluten and Grain Allergies-Picky eater-Suggestions?

sammib29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male Siamese (8yrs old) has a condition called eosinophilia. He can't eat grains or gluten at all or he has respiratory, gastric and skin problems. It seems his favorite grain free brand, Nutro, decided to start adding guar gum to their wet food and now I can't find anything. Some of the grain/gluten free wet canned foods we have tried are completely unpalatable for him..he sniffs then walks away. Don't know what brands to try without spending a fortune for nothing. I think he was addicted to the gluten in the bad food! Tried to make homemade and he refused to eat that too. I am worried and upset. He's a picky eater. Any suggestions with brands for wet food that is both grain and gluten free?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use the chart in this TCS sticky:

Also see this:

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male Siamese (8yrs old) has a condition called eosinophilia. He can't eat grains or gluten at all or he has respiratory, gastric and skin problems. It seems his favorite grain free brand, Nutro, decided to start adding guar gum to their wet food and now I can't find anything. Some of the grain/gluten free wet canned foods we have tried are completely unpalatable for him..he sniffs then walks away. Don't know what brands to try without spending a fortune for nothing. I think he was addicted to the gluten in the bad food! Tried to make homemade and he refused to eat that too. I am worried and upset. He's a picky eater. Any suggestions with brands for wet food that is both grain and gluten free?
Hi, sammib29 sammib29 ! And welcome to the Cat Site. Before I start trying to think of some foods to recommend, what are some of the ones that your cat -- what's his name? -- really dislikes? Tiki Cat (and Chewy's knockoff Miko foods) comes to mind but there's no sense getting too specific if you've already tried those!

What kind(s) of homemade did you try? And for how long? Our cats really loved the recipe on catinfo.org, though I've only made it once. They have a definite preference for Alnutrin (perhaps because you have to add fresh liver?) over EZ Complete. There are other supplements, too, that we haven't tried. (Of course now is a terrible time to even think about changing up supplements and homemade food!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammib29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for the response. The list is rather lengthy for my cat, Kona (in the photo)...he does not like wet food in Solid Gold, Tiki Cat (he did like the varying flavor in this once upon a time), Wellness, Weruva, Soulistic, Stella & Chewys. I have made chicken breast with carrot, but didn't know how to make gravy for it.. Apparently this is what Kona really likes with his food- gravy! Kona loves chicken, tuna and chicken with beef. There was something about the Nutro flavors he enjoyed and the gravy. We did see a new version of Muse (by Purina) that comes in shredded chicken, tuna or salmon and two recipes for pate that are all grain and gluten free. However, it can only be purchased online at Chewy.com or on Amazon and single cans cannot be purchased. You have to buy an entire case, so we can't simply sample to see what Kona prefers. Our choices have become very limited as well. Did you say that something must be added to homemade food? What is Alnutrin? Any more new brands of wet canned food in either shredded or pate that is grain free without glutens?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm, let's see... given that Kona doesn't like Tiki, he probably wouldn't like Chewy's Miko food, either. It's pretty similar. Our cats really love Rawz shredded food -- especially the chicken and liver -- but the availability is limited. Rawz makes pates and shreds. You could check with them to see if they have samples available, though of course right now it's hard to tell what might be available, particularly since they were already shifting to a new production facility.

Yes, to make food, you need to add nutrients. Alnutrin is a premixed supplement. I buy little packets of it: each packet is used for one pound of meat (cooked or raw) plus a small amount of liver. I cook the meat and add extra water; you could also add pure meat broth to it (no salt, veg, etc.) for more gravy-like liquid.

I can't really think of any other options right now but the chart that LTS3 LTS3 linked to might be helpful. Unfortunately, there aren't many canned foods without gums.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Halo makes lots of grain free foods, but the only have 2 varieties that are Gluten free/Grain.
1)Halo holistic glutin free turkey & qual
2)Halo indoor cat glutin free chicken and trout

When I was allergen testing my cat I had the same situation as your cat he was addicted to the gluten, he could tell the chicken/turkey/beef of all the limited ingredient foods are missing protein.
My vet told me the best way to do it if hes picky is to find a completely foreign meat, one he doesn't associate with carb and guten rIch gravy. He hated all of the petco/petsmart choices, the ONLY food he did eat was Koha Kangaroo pate.He never finished it but wasnt starving himself. It is grain and gluten free, contains no known cat allergens, and most importantly both the kangaroo and the rabbit are extremely low.

Limited Ingredient Diet Kangaroo Pâté for Cats
Koha is not a totally obscure brand, but you probably need the store finder to see where the sell it locally

Its always work to transition a cat to new food, if there is a food your kitty can eats its a good idea to put a dab next to bur not touching the new food, for a few dats/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammib29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hm, let's see... given that Kona doesn't like Tiki, he probably wouldn't like Chewy's Miko food, either. It's pretty similar. Our cats really love Rawz shredded food -- especially the chicken and liver -- but the availability is limited. Rawz makes pates and shreds. You could check with them to see if they have samples available, though of course right now it's hard to tell what might be available, particularly since they were already shifting to a new production facility.

Yes, to make food, you need to add nutrients. Alnutrin is a premixed supplement. I buy little packets of it: each packet is used for one pound of meat (cooked or raw) plus a small amount of liver. I cook the meat and add extra water; you could also add pure meat broth to it (no salt, veg, etc.) for more gravy-like liquid.

I can't really think of any other options right now but the chart that LTS3 LTS3 linked to might be helpful. Unfortunately, there aren't many canned foods without gums.
Thank you. We have already tried raw food.. same reaction from Kona. Yuck..he doesn't like it. Our vet wished us "good luck" as he knows there isn't much out there.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We have already tried raw food.. same reaction from Kona. Yuck..he doesn't like it. Our vet wished us "good luck" as he knows there isn't much out there.
What kind(s) of raw food did you try? Some cats don't take to raw food it immediately and others (like ours!) will only eat certain kinds. As an example, they love Primal freeze-dried when it's rehydrated but hate the same food in its frozen form.

Also, Rawz isn't actually raw! It's canned. (Or dry.)