Glittery/crystalline urine in litter box?

henryjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone ever noticed their cat’s urine drying and looking almost like crystals/spun sugar on top?

In checking in on the cats’ litter box I noticed some urine that seemed to have a crystalline look on top—almost glittery.

One of the cats has been tracking footprints everywhere the past few days and my suspect was our other non-kidney cat, Jones, as he tends to leave his business unburied, but now I’m worried it could be our CKD cat Henry and it could be kidney or infection-related. Has anyone ever noticed anything like this before?
D848090F-C0A6-41E9-8DD7-8F17EEB25023.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it is actual crystals, per se, but it is worthy of having a urinalysis done on your CKD cat to see if the vet can determine what it is. Does he lick his privates often? Is he neutered? Is he showing any signs of a UTI? Does he have any swelling in and around his genitals?

There is a situation called preputial discharge that can occur in cats, and it is related to old skin cells and sweat from sebaceous glands collecting around the genital area and being 'washed off' into the urine when peeing. But, if there would be enough of that to be visible in his urine in the litter box, I would think it would be related to an infection - either of the skin or within the urinary tract. This is just a wild guess on my part, tbh.

You could show that pic to your vet and see if they can identify possible causes, but odds are they will want to take a look at him and do a urinalysis.

A strong stream of urine can cause foamy urine - my cat has done that (she doesn't cover her urine either) - but I have never seen it dry into a visible form. Nonetheless, foamy urine can also be indicative of a urinary tract issue.

Short of all that, another possibility might be if you've changed litters, this could be something to do with the composition of the new litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

henryjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely going to call the vet and get in for labs and urinalysis tomorrow. I wondered about foamy urine which I have read can show up with protein in the urine but I can’t imagine this much foam dried like this (the photo shows just a tiny bit… it was a large area). Litter is same as it’s always been. Oddly enough though, this morning I saw some of what looked like the other cat’s urine with the same look, albeit more subtle.

he doesn’t seem to be grooming his genitals more than usual so I’m not sure but appreciate the lead!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

henryjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s the strangest thing. He had no crystals, no inflammation. Kidney values were stable and urine concentration was normal. No evidence of blockage but they did a catheter and drained him anyway. He’s since used the box at home without issue. He’s still a little low energy but he’s on some pain meds from the catheter. I have no idea what any of it was about but I’m keeping a close eye on him the next few days anyway.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that. Now I'm wondering if it was the litter.