Glasses? (All the better to see with...)

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had glasses since I was in grade 6. Like someone else, I can't see anymore than about 6 inches infront of me without them. In the beginning I was only supposed to wear them to see the board at school, read, etc but I wore them all the time and ended up being dependent on them.

I have used contacts before, but I like my glasses much better. Plus, I guess my glasses are like a safety blanket for me, I'm not nearly as comfortable without them on.

I have Ray Ban Wayfarer style glasses. I've loved them for a long time, but I didn't want to get them because they were the in thing and all the hipsters wear them, lol. My mom finally convinced me to just get them and I couldn't be happier. The lenses are so big that I can see so much more than I could with regular glasses and they're very comfortable.

For anyone not familiar with the style, this is it (although mine are red inside, black outside):

I have another pair of smaller framed glasses that are transitions. They're nice, but I'm a photographer and it's sometimes hard to see with them on and get the correct exposure.

I don't have prescription sunglasses, I just use Solar Shades, lol. My boyfriend makes fun of me, but I love them and they're pretty cheap so if I break them I can afford to replace them.

For anyone not familiar with solar shades:

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alison Joy

Have you always worn glasses? Are you near-sighted, far-sighted, both? What kind of frames do you have? Do you like wearing glasses or do you feel as though they make you seem or appear less attractive?
I've worn glasses I think since...4th grade? And then in 6th grade I switched to contact lenses. These days I mostly wear contacts, but wear glasses at home or on lazy days. I also have astigmatism in my left eye, and while they finally do make soft lenses for that, I still see better with my glasses. So I guess there are pros and cons to each.

I used to hate how I looked in glasses (I had kind of dorky little round frames that were really beat up after so many years) but I finally got a pair a year ago that I like. They're slim gold rectangular frames. So now I feel like I can go out with glasses and look "classy" in a smart, geek chic sort of way, instead of a "I was too lazy to look nice today" sort of way.

I don't think I'll ever get laser surgery. I work as an artist so I am too paranoid about something going wrong and making my vision worse! I can live with my glasses or contacts. They do a sufficient job.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

I wear both. I look so much different with glasses than without, and not in a good way.

For those who can't afford glasses, if you have Facebook and friend Coastal Contacts, they often have awesome specials. Frequently they give away 10,000 pairs for the shipping cost only. Other times they have frames and lenses for $38.00 plus shipping. The frames are nice ones, not the icky $38.00 frames that Wal-Mart has. I just got some really cute Guess frames for $50.00 including shipping.
You mean, so you buy the frames from them, and then have your regular optical place put the prescription in?

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good question - I like reading all the other eyesight stories!
I am very nearsighted, and have been since I was about seven. At first I refused to wear glasses, but soon I realized that my sight was far, far better with them

Now, I wear both glasses and contacts, and both are fine with me. Usually, I wear contacts when I go out and glasses indoors (mainly because of the sunglasses problem, which I think somebody mentioned before). Glasses are more comfortable for reading and computer/television.
To be honest, I think glasses can be cute when they are the right frames. I hate the way small, thin, neutral-coloured frames look on me, but the bolder, black frames look quite cute. One also has to consider hair/hairstyles when choosing glasses frames...something I didn't think of until recently.
Still, I feel most confident when I wear contacts. I just think it looks best and most natural, and of course my eyes are more visible

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even remember when I first needed and wore glasses. I think it was in my mid 30's to early 40's. For the past 5 or 6 years I have been wearing bi-focals and I wear them all the time. I only take them off to sleep and shower of course
I also wear prescription sun glasses when I need them.

The frame is black and it is the narrow frame and very pretty. I look better with them on than without. It gives my face more color. My last eye exam was almost a year ago. I don't go every year as I should but when I have trouble reading I know I probably need new lenses.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got glasses when I was 15, probably should have gotten them when I was 13 and telling my parents I was having problems seeing the board at school (mostly only a problem in math classes) but my dad didn't want to spend the money until the school started complaining to them.

My myopia is mostly self inflicted. I'm a book addict and had been since I was 2.

I now have an astigmatism in my right eye, possibly from neck issues.
I don't wear my glasses when I'm in my home since I know where everything is. It makes reading menus on the tvs difficult, but not enough that I can't still read them (unless I've been sitting on the couch reading, surfing on my phone, sewing, beadwork, etc to mess up my focus). My optometrist says that actually helps a little since it forces my eyes to work and not get lazy and rely on the lenses to do the work. The last time I had my eyes checked (I'm due again for a exam) my vision had actually improved aside from the astigmatism.

Has anyone had that happen?

I rarely wear contacts.. pretty much only at concerts where wearing glasses a) makes it hard to headbang (I go to metal concerts
) and b) can be ripped off your face from someone elses hair.
Otherwise there's something weird about my eyes. They're too curved/far out and my upper eye lids cover them in such a way that they push the contacts down on nearly every other blink. If I tighten my lids a little I can actually scoop a contact right off my eye entirely. My optometrist has never heard/seen that before.
This also means that the contacts constantly rub my upper lids so are not very comfortable.

Plus I have dry eye and odd bouts of eye muscle pain.
So for the most part I'm comfortable in glasses. I prefer wire frames and have a pair that are a dark brushed gold/bronze color that go well with my hair color. I don't think they cover up too much of my face and have no hang ups about wearing them... A person looks far more ridiculous squinting at everything.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 12 when I first got glasses - thanks to the Lion's club because we couldn't afford them. I'm nearsighted, but I guess maybe a little farsighted too. I can't see beans without my glasses, except fairly close up. Like, I can take them off to read, but everything else around me is blurry. I've never tried contacts, just not interested in that.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got glasses when I was 40, though I knew my eyes had started getting bad at around 36.
Currently only single vision, but I've already been warned by my optometrist that I'll need bifocals on my next pair.
I wear titanium wire frames currently, expensive, but nearly indestructible.

I'll probably go for Nike-Flexon frames (greatest invention since the wheel) for my next pair as long as I can find a style that will support transitional lenses.

I am nearsighted. Everyone else in my family has worn glasses since they were quite young, so I feel lucky.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let everyone who needs glasses....Coastal Contacts is having another giveway on the 7th of April starting at noon.

I am in no way affiliated with them but I think they are doing a great service...allowing people to get nice looking frames and lenses for next to no cost.

I was skeptical the first time I ordered from them but I have been so pleased with what I have received. I have ordered numerous pairs when they have their $38.00 specials.