Giving my cat Metronidazole

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LisaMarie12, I feel for you, i really do!  My beloved Tiger had to take Metronodiazole and Clavamox when she had pancreatitis- it was horrible tasting and I felt horrible for having to give them to her even though the metronodiazole was compounded that chicken flavor did not mask the bitterness one bit.  Once your kitty tastes how horrible it is, she will fight you tooth and nail and resist for all she is worth. I urge you go get gel caps from Amazon or see if your local pharmacy has them.  Dip the gelcap in butter and it will go down smoothly, but then I would give Tiger a spoonful of baby food or other tasty treat that she liked to help chase the gelcap down. That might be a good time to give your kitty a spoonful of tuna juice if she likes that better.
Thank you RuthM.

I'm so sorry Tiger had a hard time with this med. I'm reading a lot of negative stuff about this, yikes! As I mentioned to Ellag, Metronodiazole just doesn't taste bitter at all - to my human taste buds. I've tried several drops of it and I just can't detect any bitterness.

But, interestingly though, I read this article today, very timely:

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/what-food-tastes-like-to-a-cat-151021.htm

Next time (if needed), I'll get gel caps or something to make this process run a bit smoother.

Thanks again Ruth, much appreciated. :)

Last edited: