Giving Kittens Pills

tandl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While we got fairly proficient at giving our 15 year old cats pills (one would eat them when in a pill pocket, one we used a pill popper), we have never given kittens pills and need to know the 'best' technique.

We just got 4 kittens from the shelter yesterday, and unfortunately this morning I found a flea sauntering across one of their ears. They have had frontline at the shelter, but when I called the shelter today they gave me capstar, plus an additional dose of frontline but I believe i can't give them that until a certain time after their last frontline dose, so I need to read more on that...

For our old cat, I'd break up pills, put them into a gel cap, coat with a little butter and use the pill popper to get it into his throat.

Should I follow that same method with the capstar for our kitties? Or forego the pill popper? I'm assuming they are probably a bit too little to try to 'hide' in a pill pocket? I only have 4 pills, so if a kitten bites one but then won't eat the rest, I would have wasted a pill.

Would love to hear from experienced kitten owners -- what are good methods for getting pills into kittens?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The same method should work with the kittens. I tend to do the basic level pop it in and hold their mouth shut method.