Giving Cerenia for more than 5 days?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to continue updating the other thread for SImon, but since this is a specific question about a specific med, I felt it'd be better asked separately:

Simon has been on the Cerenia for five days as of today (crushed up and mixed in with his food, which he devours with no issue), which is all his original prescription was for - with one refill available through next year. Now, I don't know if the vet wants him on it for longer or not - but I am pretty concerned about him not taking it Saturday or Sunday and having to spend the entire weekend throwing up until we can get him to the vet on Monday (the emergency vet here leaves oh so much to be desired and runs something like $200 just to walk in the door; We paid $500 for issues with our last cat and they didn't do ANYTHING to actually help her). The costco pharmacy here is closed on Sundays, so I was thinking about calling in a refill of the prescription to at least have on hand - and if he got "pukey" over the weekend, just continue to medicate and deal with the ramifications of the vet potentially being mad at me later.

Is this safe? He has been getting a 16 mg pill of the cerenia(and what I now know to be entirely too much Prilosec) once per day. He would then be on L-lysine, Proviable DC, Prozac, and the cerenia in the morning (and l-lysine and proviable DC again at dinner)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with having the prescription refilled before you actually run out. That way if you do end up needing it you'll have it, and if you don't need it then you'll have some on hand if he starts vomiting again later.

As far as being on it for more than 5 days that would mean the underlying issue is still there and he probably needs another vet visit to find out what is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien - Oh, I'm aware that Simon would need another vet visit, should he require the meds past the 5 days. I just wanted to make sure I have some on hand to get through the weekend, just in case. If Simon doesn't need it, that'd be great - but if he does, I want to have some on hand until I can get him in to see the vet, y'know?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I won't even bore everyone with the meds that my dog's vet allows me to keep on hand for the next medical crisis, Cerenia being one of them. I don't believe in taking matters into your own hands entirely, but I absolutely am over not having the meds on the weekend or holiday when something goes awry.

I am guessing that if there are refills on the prescription and you are only talking about 2 days nothing would go wrong with continuing the meds.