Giving a cat a bath

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I will give Bella or Thunder a bath after reading all the posts. I know I will get tore up with these 2 cause with Thunder it is like a war just to pet her.

dejolane

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You've got good info in all these responses! Make the decision whether you will bathe when they are kittens, then you will quickly work out how they 'like' it best, and they quickly accept it.  For our cat, it's HOT water, a not so heavy water stream, standing in the shower with us and a hand held shower head.  No fuss at all.  He hated standing in a tub where the water lapped his legs and crept upwards!  And absolutely - a specific cat shampoo (hypoallergenic in our case).

As to whether a cat 'needs' a bath, well, technically no, unless a breed like sphynx who need them regularly.  Most cats come equipped.  But there are times when the equipment is not able to work properly, or when you don't want them to ingest certain substances, or when you want a bit more cleanliness for your bed partner!  For a cat not used to baths and when you find they need one, the spot clean is awesome.  We were told use a chamioux (like for a car), but the real ones are pricey and the cheap ones smell of chemicals, so we use damp/wet paper towels.  Minimise stress for sure.

Personally, I love the fact we have trained our cat to bathtime.  He's Korat - so short haired and only one layer(dries real quick!), plus he pretty much likes water.  He also loves to explore so he walks outside on a harness each day...and goes and roles in the dirt!  Yesterday it was pile of dirt from a worksite which my husband said had concrete in it.  He definately had a bath after that as there's no way I want him ingesting concrete. We usually bathe him monthly after the flea spot on treatment has had time to get into his system - again, it's because he is so agile and figures out how to ingest the stuff on his fur by scratching with his hind legs and then licking his toes!!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know starting ''The Bath your cat or not thread'' was going to get so  much attention. Some of you say not to bathe the cat. I  just want to know if you wanted your cat to look good should u do it. ?

dejolane
Have you told us anywhere what sort of coats your cats have? 

My cats look great and never get bathed.  The gloss on the coats of the two blacks is obvious and the texture is great, and the blue has it as well.  It's always hard to see it on a Siamese, but his coat is great as well.  The blue and the Siamese are 10 months old and changing from kitten to adult coats so they feel a little harsh at present, but that will sort itself out.

My Havana tended to dandruff especially in the spring but bathing him wouldn't have helped.  A change in diet might have, but he is no longer with me.

The only cats I've had that looked better for a bit of washing were the black & whites - their feet needed washing to be sparkly white.  But that was only necessary for a show.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a lot of people may disagree and say washing your cat is not ideal but it has a lot of benefits especially in my case anyway, it's a personal preference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 OrientalSlave,

Bella is a American Short hair ( Black,white,gray) and Thunder is jet black & white. They both are indoor cats.

dejolane

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 OrientalSlave,

Bella is a American Short hair

dejolane
Ask your breeder what grooming she recommends, I don't think an ASH would require much but she's the person to ask - she knows her lines and coat type best

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I have always bathed my cats or had them bathed by a groomer once or twice a year, whether indoor or indoor/outdoor kitties.  Cats don't get muddy-dirty like dogs do, but it seems to help control dander, and I've noticed that even neutered Toms tend to get greasy spots on their lower backs.  My vet's office is next door to/combined with a groomer, so we often have the vet hand over our kitties to the groomer for bathing while they are still groggy from their annual tooth cleaning.

Of course, it's cheaper to do it yourself.  My 7-year-old neutered Tom, Rufus, tolerates bathing pretty well--not many escape attempts and minimal crying.  My 20-year old female, Mischeif, really hates being bathed, especially now that she is too old to be anesthetized for tooth cleaning.  Of course, at her age, she needs it more than ever.  It seems that geriatric kitties don't shed normally, and dirt gets trapped in the unshed undercoat.  I like to bathe even young cats regularly, so it's less stressful for them when they are old.

I always use cat conditioner after the shampoo.  A spray hose is invaluable for rinsing the undercarriage.  And I usually top the after-bath meal with a drop or two of mineral oil, to help any hairballs along, since kitties spend so much time grooming themselves after bathing.