Girlfriend doesn't like my cat... Advice?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MightyMouse39

I have a situation. My girlfriend and I have been together coming up on 2 years, and recently moved 800 miles away from our homes to start a new life in another state.

Our relationship is generally wonderful. There is one issue, though. My cat, who I've had for 3.5 years.

We lived together for several months before moving (with my cat), so she was exposed to him as an animal that she lived with, and seemed to be okay with it. She always had a few issues with cats not being quite as trainable as dogs, but it was certainly never a big deal.

Since we've moved, it's gotten a lot worse. She loves him when he's being good and docile, but like all animals, he's not good sometimes. The rule is that he's not allowed on the furniture or tables, or in the bedroom.

As I said, though, sometimes he's not good. Sometimes he gets on the sofas or chairs. We had a brief issue with him clawing at the carpet near the bedroom door trying to get in, so we taped over it and he doesn't do it anymore. That doesn't keep my girlfriend from waking up in the middle of the night thinking she hears him, though.

This is a stressful thing for her. She worries about it constantly. She claims he's not trainable at all, though he's actually the most trainable cat I've ever seen, in that we've been able to train him to usually stay off the furniture, even when we're not there. She's gotten to the point where she's saying she may not be able to live with him.

I simply don't understand this perspective, as I'm very tolerant and he doesn't worry me in the slightest. I've tried very hard to be sympathetic, though, and have bent over backwards to try and fix things (if it were up to me, he could get into every room and on every piece of furniture in the house). I'm coming to the end of the things I can do, though, as no cat will be good 100% of the time.

Any suggestions? Yes, everything should have been spelled out before we moved, but I didn't know it was a problem at the time, and here were are now.
Easy, she is a girlfriend, not a wife. Get rid of her and keep the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mightymouse39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

And if it does we have plenty of hot babes here on the site
Waiiit.. Are you hitting on me?

Originally Posted by captiva

Leave him alone !
...and now you guys are fighting over me?!

I stumbled on the right site!

Again, thanks everyone for the discussion/advice. I'm a little interested in that clicker training just for grins, but my time is pretty limited now so I suppose I'll put it off until I've got some more free time. Interesting, though - my cat is pretty smart so I'm sure he'd pick up on it quickly.

Funny trait he picked up: when I left to go to San Francisco for a week, he learned that by hitting the big green button on my answering machine, he could get my voice to come out of it. The girl I had checking on him said it freaked her out when she came in once and heard my voice coming from inside.

spitfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got rid of quite a few boyfriends who didn't like my animals. They really had to go!Then I met my husband (who knew nothing about cats only dogs). He really liked my cats and my the pony I had then. When we got married we were given a blue Burmese rescue cat and ever since then have had cats. He loves my two Brits. if he didn't then he would have to go.
PS:He also likes my pony.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

I knew it! It was just a matter of time before the Thread Vixens would surface...I knew it!
Poor bloke hasn't been here 5 minutes and look at the impression were giving him

Don't leave though were harmless really