Gir.. Unknown breed (help needed identifying)

voxumo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So as the title may suggest i have a cat. His name is Gir and he is currently three years old. I got him for free from a family in Delta Jct who were giving away the kittens. Apparently he is the runt of the litter yet you would never know.

Traits:

He is not afraid of water and actively plays with the water in his water dish. 

He is quite sociable though to the point that when i leave the house he cries. So i would say he abandonment issues.

He is quite curious about anything i am doing though on the otherside he is skittish so his curiousity often gets the better of him.

Very talkative. 

Oh and he snores like a freight train.

Also i don't know if this is relevant but after his recent trip to the vet i was told he weighs 18 pounds though the vet said given his size he is not overweight

So here are some photos

This was him when he was younger.

Here are some more recent photos

Also it should be noted he is a stealer of pizza

So yeah i have no idea what breed he is so any help would be appreciated. Thank you folks

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He looks like a blue mackerel tabby domestic short hair.

He reminds me of my cat Gizmo who passed away last year.

Blue cats are my favourite I've got three blues :lol3:

He's a gorgeous looking cat and I love his name :clap:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Veryvery few cats have any breed background at all. Cats just aren't bred selectively as often as dogs are. So he's a domestic shorthair. And a very handsome one too :D. He is very large but that's not necessarily a breed trait---I know one other cat that size (not fat; I know many that weight who are fat!) and he's a regular orange tabby, no breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

voxumo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks like a blue mackerel tabby domestic short hair.

He reminds me of my cat Gizmo who passed away last year.

Blue cats are my favourite I've got three blues

He's a gorgeous looking cat and I love his name
Well thank you. I am sure he would be soaking up the praise if he could read.
Veryvery few cats have any breed background at all. Cats just aren't bred selectively as often as dogs are. So he's a domestic shorthair. And a very handsome one too
. He is very large but that's not necessarily a breed trait---I know one other cat that size (not fat; I know many that weight who are fat!) and he's a regular orange tabby, no breed.
And yeah i took him out with me once.. was holding him and some random person shouted from their car saying 'That's a big cat.' So yeah i was just glad to hear the vet say he was not overweight.. Though he does look it since he has a kinda of belly flab from where he had to have a hernia removed.. Poor little guy. First vet trip and he is told he has to get a hernia removed.

But thank you both for your help on this. Had him for almost a little over three years now. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Yes , Gir would be classified as  a Domestic Shorthair   which just means no particular breed / unknown ancestry.    As Willowy said,  with cats there's been far less human control of their breeding than with dogs.  so the vast majority of cats are not a breed or mix of breeds in the way dogs are.    

But one can compare to breeds - or anyway to landraces.   and Gir looks very typically northern European.    He might be compared to a British Shorthair in type  -- or  to the random-bred cats that that breed came from . 

He's got a very lovely blue tabby pattern,  very nice colors.   Beautiful eyes, too!