Ginger needs to stay at the hospital

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Hedi, I think we may live in the same general area from what I've read of your posts. If you need to reschedule your appointment and you need a ride I'd be happy to help you out. I live just outside of Richmond Hill, in Bryan County. I sent you a PM.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you malynn you are so nice . I respont to your pm . It is funny how you find out in a time like that , that two people malynn and I only about 25 - 30 minutes drive away
. I think that is great to know there is someone close by who has the same love for cats like I do .
I will wait on the vets call now and see what she has to say about Ginger and will go from there . I may have to reschedule a new appointment . If I do and my darn car is not fixed I may take your offer malynn
. Oh gosh you are so sweet , thank you again for your offer .

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk to the vet and she said that she wants to see Ginger next week when my car is fixed up . To continue the meds for Ginger right now as told and if any changes at all with Ginger to get back with her asap . She also was interestet if Gingers nodes where gone and after telling her no , she ask me if they got smaller since she is at home . Well no , kind of the same to me but have not grown , so thats when she said she really want to see Ginger next week . Could that be a consern for me know the way the vet reacted ??????? Now I kind of think not positive any more
. Or would the vet tell me if there is something to worry about ??? Oh gosh I make myself crazy now , dumb me

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hedi,
I'm not a vet or vet tech (and maybe one of the vet techs I've seen comment here will do so again), but as an RN, what I think your vet was doing was having you be her eyes and hands - it's important to know if the lymph nodes are going down, as an indicator of how she is doing. By asking you the same question a couple of ways, she was just being sure to get an idea of exactly what was happening with the lymph nodes...not smaller but also not growing any larger.

By seeing her next week, it's a prudent followup to see how those nodes are doing. I'd be reassured by the fact that Ginger is eating, playing and seeming more like herself...all important clues as to how she is feeling.

hth a bit,

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be right Par&Alix , Dr. Heather thought it was great that Ginger is doing great and seem to be happy about that . Yea , the more I think about that the more I think you are right with that what you said . Thank you again Pat&Alix
now it make sense to me .

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heidi, Pat is correct, your vet is relying on you to keep her updated on Ginger's progress.

I just want to caution (not scare) you to be exceptionally keen on observing Ginger at this point. Because your vet suspects hemobart, it's important for you to know that this could take up to 4 months for her to make a complete recovery. During this recovery stage, it is paramount that you observe her carefully for any signs that treatment may not be working. Your vet wants to monitor her lymph nodes in the event she may yet need to test further for some other immunosuppressive problem. Assuming she hasn't truly ruled much out other than hemobart, she is keeping those differentials in the back of her mind as she follows the treatment plan.

The most observant thing you can do is monitor her mucous membranes on a daily basis. Ideally, they should be moist and a healthy pink color. Right now, they probably appear white or very pale, which would be normal under the circumstances, but what you want to see is her improving with pink gums each day from here on in. Another thing you want to monitor is her exercise tolerance, as in weakness. If she is lethargic or appears to be extremely weak, contact your vet immediately and notify her of it at once. While her normal daily routine has probably been adjusted and you'll find her not interested in activity or exercise or interested in playtime, etc, you should be seeing progress very soon. She should become stronger and more interested in her normal activities. Also keep a close eye on her food and water intake, especially during medication treatment. You don't want to risk dehydration, so ensure she is eating sufficiently, is drinking good amounts daily and has normal urine/bowel functions.

If at any time she appears not to tolerate her medications at any point, notify your vet at once. Sometimes vomiting can occur with doxycycline, and while it's generally mild and will subside shortly thereafter, if she happens to vomit more than once, notify your vet. If she is tolerating them well, follow the doses exactly, and never miss a dose of any medication your vet has given you.

Another reason your vet may want to see Ginger next week could be to monitor the CBC....anytime prednisone is given, the WBC needs to be monitored, this is a precautionary measure.

Hang in there.............Traci

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Traci , wow you have given me a great explanation . Something I can understand . Thank you so very much Traci , you don't know how much that mean to me
Be sure I will check all you said and I also will watch her very carefully . I sure don't want her to fall back or even lose her , that would really devastate (sp) me . Thank you again Traci that was very nice of you taking the time out for me to explain .

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Hedi, this is good attention from your vet. I am pleased to hear about the improvement with Ginger since the first post. And good job on the car! Sometimes the small things going right make all the difference. Remember to take of you: hot bath, tea, 15 minutes of total quiet, a sunny walk if you can down there in GA. We are following these updates and pray for you and your Ginger snap sweetie. I am recovering from my loss now and send ALL my best strength and spirit to you!
Elizabeth and Eric

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sashacat for your kind words , that was really sweet of you . Yes we still have sun here and I take a sun bath with my outsite cats every day . Spenting quality times with them sitting in the sun for a while petting and talking to them . They enjoy that very much . I also try to recover from my grief with Calipso and will take some time . I walk every day to her grave site and visit with a cup of coffe . I got peace now in my heart but still miss her a lot . I still catch myself looking to the place she used to sleep all the time
. Oh well .... life will go on .

But Ginger is doing good , she is playing now and is so cute while playing . I really enjoy that now more seeing that . I check her gums now when I give her the little prednisone (half) pill . She is even running and go outsite in the cat enclosure every day . But mostly she like to be with me all the time and follows me around the house . I cant believe I am so in love with her knowing her only a few month . She mut be my soul cat some how .

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is perfectly put: your soulcat.
I think Freddie was mine, then. Because I got him from across the street June 28, the only boy in a litter of five sisters. I loved him instantly and brought him home. His personality enchanted all of us, so alive and responsive. He slept with me every night and would push his little face into my neck. I never saw him cross or angry, not once, not one time. He was so full of love. I am sure all your cats think you're pretty darn special! I am so happy for Ginger's good day, Hedi! I can see you there with a cup of coffee and your brood.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a apointment for Ginger this Wednesday at 4:30 and I will also take Cookie with me . My friend Iris will drive me there , she live here in town and does a lot of rescue herself . Iris also has a little feral colony at her beauty shop she take care off . I am almost out of Ginger antibiotics and her prednesone pill . So I may have to get some more or new meds for her . Ginger is really doing good and act like a kitten
. She is just to darn cute . So I think her meds work what she got right now . I don't know what is wrong with Cookie's eye , it is almost shot close . It seem to hurt him when I try to clean it with a warm moist rag and complaint . He had no problem with the other eye complaining .He also is hiding now a lot unter my bed , that is not a good sign . I hope I did not scratch him one time there when I try to clean his hard stuff from his eye with my fingernail
off . But it seem right from the beginning not as clear like the other eye . So maybe he got a eye infection . The other thing what I was wondering is that the lady who foster them give both cats a try bath with some kind of spray (?) shampoo for cats . I don't know how save that is for cats and also wondered if Cookie may have got some of that stuff in that eye when she try washed him . I guess I will find out on wednesday .

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger did good at the vet today
, the blood count has doppelt and something ??? got down and all is looking good . I am just not good at that stuff , sorry . Her nodes in the back of her legs were gone and also in the front , just at her site on the ear is still there but has not grown a all
Ginger don't need any more antbiotics , but is still on prednesone and som kind of vitamine suplement (zink ? maybe , it is dark and smell funny ) and thats it
. I am so happy so very very happy

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy for you and Ginger! It has been a rough time for both of you. Mega hugs!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much .
Did I say I was very happy
, my girl is doing good yeah .

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news...good for Ginger

Maybe now you can go back to just being a cat handmaiden serving toys and treats, no more vet visits etc.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much , I am still all excidet and feel like a big load has lifted me .

Pat&Alix Maybe now you can go back to just being a cat handmaiden serving toys and treats, no more vet visits etc.
that is to funny .