Gift ideas/suggestions?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finishing my job, it was an internship that lasted about 3 months and I really want to do something nice for the people I worked with- they are sooo nice to me and we got along so well, I feel like we are family even though I've only worked with them for such a short time..
So, I feel sad that I have to leave and at the same time I want to thank them about how nice they've been to me and how much they've taught me and express it in some way. Do you think a goodbye gift would be appropriate in this situation?? I'm really bad at social stuff so I really need opinions and suggestions about what would be a good small gift (there are 8 people I work with).
I'd really appreciate your input!

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
QUOTE=Natalie_ca;2913497]Bringing some fresh baking like muffins plus a nice card thanking them would be very much appreciated.[/quote]

I agree its a little something that shows you care but it isn't over the top either. YOu can't go wrong with baked goods!

ummm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with the others - cookies or something like that are good options, along with a hand-written card!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't want to bake the cookies yourself, find a nice bakery close to your work and ask them to make up a basket of different kinds of cookies or muffins (mini-muffins are nice, too, as they're only a bite). Put a "Thanks for being great!" card in it and you're good to go. Most office people and such love baked goods.

You could also check out your local supermarket and see what they could make up for you. Go about a week or so before you need the basket.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

If you don't want to bake the cookies yourself, find a nice bakery close to your work and ask them to make up a basket of different kinds of cookies or muffins (mini-muffins are nice, too, as they're only a bite). Put a "Thanks for being great!" card in it and you're good to go. Most office people and such love baked goods.

You could also check out your local supermarket and see what they could make up for you. Go about a week or so before you need the basket.
I was going to suggest a gift basket of baked goods, too. You can't go wrong with cookies/muffins/pastries.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, definitely food and a nice "thank you all" card.

Baked yourself if you are good at it, but purchased from a good bakery if your brownies are always dry and your cookies always burnt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I work in a lab so I can't really bring food there....
I can't really think of anything
and friday is my last day...
I might just say thank you to everyone individually, even though I'm bad at goodbyes, I don't like getting close to people for a hug and I'm awkward altogether ...
I was hoping to avoid all that by giving people something...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes gestures can be so cliche', anyway. Is it small enough there that you can address everyone pesonally with a hug and some kind words? Gotta get used to the 'social stuff' sooner or later, young one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

Sometimes gestures can be so cliche', anyway. Is it small enough there that you can address everyone pesonally with a hug and some kind words? Gotta get used to the 'social stuff' sooner or later, young one.
Yea, sigh, I was trying to specifically avoid having to say something and hug people, because I'm bad at that-not because I don't like people, it's quite the opposite I'm just an awkward person, lol...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Yea, I work in a lab so I can't really bring food there....
I can't really think of anything
and friday is my last day...
I might just say thank you to everyone individually, even though I'm bad at goodbyes, I don't like getting close to people for a hug and I'm awkward altogether ...
I was hoping to avoid all that by giving people something...
So you're saying there isn't a break room anywhere there, or a locker room where people put their things? Do people get together to order lunch? Maybe you could get a gift certificate for the group for a free lunch. Or maybe a pizza gift certificate.

But, I agree with Keycube. You will need to start at least expressing yourself to people that have helped you even if you don't want to hug them. It's closure for both of you and makes them feel recognized. Goodbyes are hard for everyone.