Giardia Parasite Won't Go Away

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My poor baby has had this parasite, Giardia, for over a year, plus possibly tapeworm. So I just wanted to know if anyone else's cat has had this parasite and can share their experiences.

It's so frustrating. We tried the medicine for Giardia (and that was near impossible to shove down his throat so tips on that would be appreciated!) but it didn't work. Then the vet thought we should wait it out and see if his maturing immune system would naturally fight it off. He's a bit over a year old and still no luck. I feel like a year is a long time to have a parasite. In fact he has probably had it since he was a kitten when we first got him. We are going to try the medicine again and hope it works this time!

Also on a side note the vet thought she heard a heart murmur and said we should just wait and see if she hears it at his next annual check up. Any thoughts on this? Should I be more proactive on it? How life threatening could a heart murmur be?

Any thoughts or your own experiences with either Giardia parasite or heart murmurs would be much appreciated!! Thanks!:)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest way to deal with this is to contain the area which your cat can go. I know it will be hard, but if you want this gone, then it's easier this way. Maybe keep him in one room only for awhile.

Steam clean everywhere he has been. If you can't steam clean then spray thoroughly with ammonia. They say ghiardia dies with bleach, but this stains, so I used ammonia. Wash all his bedding. Use the HOT cycle on the machine.
My kittens were young, so I had to use clay litter. But this is best during this time. Make sure to clean the box when he poops. At least once a day, dump it completely. I washed the box with antibacterial soap, sprayed it with ammonia, then washed it again with antibacterial soap. (in HOT water).
Also, make sure to wash your hands after messing with him since this can be transferred to humans and other animals.
Good luck and keep us posted.

This is a nasty protozoa parasite that can live in the environment for a year. So, be sure to sanitize everything.

Edit: I should add, in case you didn't know this already...make sure the cat is not around the sprayed area until it is well ventilated and dried.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much! I will try all of this!