Giardia 16 year old cat

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where do I begin???

I brought home a foster kitten nov 6. She was healthy and had been dewormed 4x with strongid, ponazuril, revolution plus and profender.

Then we get to thanksgiving and I find my 16 year old cat very sick and covered in diarrhea. Immediately rush her to the vet. She’s got a nasty uri. We begin treating her and wait for labs and fecal. Comes back with giardia and pancreatitis as well. I have her isolated in a downstairs bathroom where she’s been 2 weeks now. On top of all the meds for the uri and pancreatitis she has also had 10 days off panacur and metronidazole. Also on EN and fortiflora. She’s been bathed about five times in chlorhex shampoo. Using liners in the box and dumping and bleaching box daily as well as cleaning and mopping her area with kennelsol.
She finished all meds yesterday and had the first fecal of what should’ve been 3 fecals in a row for 3 days. The first fecal that diagnosed the giardia was a pcr. The next was a regular with centrifugation at antech. Unfortunately I found out this morning when I went to drop off sample #2 it was pos for 1+ Giardia cysts. Meaning she’s still infective and actively shedding despite dual tx.
We are going to try secnidazole and panacur again but I’m suspecting that the underlying immune compromise and her age are causing her to not be able to shake this.

meanwhile all other cats in the house have all been treated , finished treatment and had negative fecals.

I’m so overwhelmed and I have done everything humanly possible but it seemed to do nothing.
Also, she’s not grooming herself like at all (she’s a ragdoll and matted up since being sick) so I don’t believe she’s reinfected herself via ingestion of cysts while grooming.

we are also thinking she’s been a carrier and had a subclinical infection for a while that was brought out from the stress/viral junk the kitten brought.

I’m concerned about her QOL at this juncture. Do I continue to treat this and be selfish and unrealistic about making a 16 year old cat miserable? She flinched every time she sees me now…

Any thoughts or suggestions or words of encouragement? I’m feeling so defeated today.

Side note- my house has been thoroughly cleaned with shark steam mop, QATs, kennelsol mopped and everything laundered multiple times and even totally new boxes since. I even carpet shampooed and tossed rugs that I could’nt shampoo.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened!

I can't suggest anything, although I did have the thought about shaving her, but I don't know. Is she still eating and drinking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened!

I can't suggest anything, although I did have the thought about shaving her, but I don't know. Is she still eating and drinking?
I could shave her. I just need to buy clippers. I think she’s arthritic and painful as well which is part of the reason she bit when when I toweling her after her bath.

she is eating and drinking okay. But not really active or interactive. Despite being a ragdoll, she is not friendly. I rescued her as a kitten. She was found in the woods with a head injury. She sustained neurological injury at that point and is also mostly blind from the trauma. So she is super skittish and anti social with people despite owning her 16 years.

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little update- we did the secnidazole and waited 5 days to test. Vet wants to do 3 fecals 3 days in a row. Got the call today her first sample was no parasites seen. Fingers crossed for sample 2
Tomorrow!

Unfortunately other cats are having diarrhea despite panacur and metronidazole and probiotics but all have also had nps fecals. Sort of at a loss.

Im exhausted from constant cleaning and disinfection…

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far only one cat is having gross poop.
She finished metronidazole a few days ago. I hope it’s just from that.

this is just insanity. I cannot get everyone well.