Giant foster kittens... 6+lbs @ almost 14 weeks?

oleander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have fostered a ton of kittens over the last few years but this is a first for me. These guys are huge- and I know near nothing about any breeds besides your average domestics.

These 3 (2 tabbys are boys, the mostly white/tabby one is a girl) are almost 14 weeks old. I pulled them from the shelter at a little under 2 weeks old. They were being surrendered with mom and mom escaped from the crate in the parking lot is what I was told. It was a Saturday so they were going to euth them. They were definitely 10-14 days old based on development. They were super easy babies. No issues besides ringworm. They weighed 2lbs at 6 weeks and 3lbs at 8 weeks. I usually stop doing daily weigh-ins at 8 weeks if the kitten is on track. Well, because they also all had ringworm, they are all having to wait till much later than normal for their spay/neuters.... should be happening this week or next, finally. I did bring them out this past weekend for an adoption even as pre-adoptable, pending surgery. The other members of the rescue I work with started pointing out how MASSIVE these kittens are... So I weighed them and both males are slightly over 6lbs. The female is a little over 5lbs. I guess since I see them every day I just did not realize how huge they were!!

So, any ideas on what they could possibly be mixed with to make them so giant?? I think they just look like your average tabby... but why are they so big?!!? I know the age is right on because I have had them since so young.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, they are so cute!!
I am actually on the opposite side of the spectrum from you as most of my recent kittens (over the past 3 yrs) have been large. I do know that a few of them have Maine Coon in them; but, others are just big. When we get "average" size kittens, I always think they are on the small side lol!

Two of my cats came from one of these larger sized litters (total of 9 solid black kittens.) They just turned 5. The males range in size of 17 - 20 lbs and the females are about 12 lbs.

I think your babies just come from a line of larger domestic cats.

Our biggest problem with the larger babies is getting them adopted. People want baby kittens and think these guys are older than we say. We have a 4 1/2 month old right that is almost 8 lbs. He looks a lot older than his 3 average size siblings (who are 5.5-6.5 lbs.)

wallycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two boys look JUST like one of my rescued males.  I was told he is a brown tabby...domestic short hair.

I can't see the girl's photo very well.

The litter of 5 that we rescued were all over the map in size and coloring; 4 males, 1 female.  The parents we saw in the area were two males and one female (we finally caught and were able to fix) and all the cats were HUGE.  No surprise

that 2 of the males are nearly 18-20 pounds.

LOVE those faces!!

Last edited: