Ghostie's Looking Bored...

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a feral that was coming in my cat door (we thought that noise was a ghost, hence the name) and I was feeding for about 3 years that I trapped & had neutered back in mid April. Since then he's been in a back bedroom where ive been trying to socialize him. I hang out for about an hour when I feed him at night and he's letting me closer and closer. And the other cats get along great with him. We're making slow progress.

But im concerned he's getting really really bored in there. I tried those balls with treats inside but he didnt care about it. He's not really into catnip so that doesnt work...Any ideas??

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you hang a bird feeder outside a window. My cats (5 former ferals) love watching the birds and other wildlife out the window.

Do you play with him? My boys love a simple shoe lace hidden under a towel and then quickly or slowly pulled out. The Da Bird toy or Da Rat are also favorites. Try to get him really moving. A laser pointer can work too.

If he's not into catnip you might try silvervine. It's a bit stronger and my cats go crazy for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried a laser pointer...he looked at me like "why do you keep putting that red dot near me?" and walked away. But every once in a while he'll play with the shoelace. He had to watch another cat play with it before he got the concept.

A bird feeder...why didnt I think of that..thats an awesome idea. Thanks!!

After reading up on it I'd love to try silvervine, but on amazon all I seem to find is silvervine & catnip mix. Is there one you'd recommend?

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ShadowRescue...is there a brand you'd recommend?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Feral in a bedroom, she has a catio she can go out
She loves that Kitty Krack!!
Keep us updated, curious if the cats get along, why does she stay in the bedroom?
Only asking because I'm trying to socialize my Feral to my Stray and it is taking a long time, I think Walli is bored too.

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ShadowRescue I dont see a link...can new members not see links? Regardless, thanks so much for your suggestions. Getting a bird feeder tonight!

Walli putting the feral in a seperate bedroom was suggested to me by a few articles I read before I found this site, as well as a animal shelter worker that loaned me the trap to catch him. You encourage the cat to socialize with you around meal times. Its working well, but its a very slow process.

As for my other cats and the feral, they like him..or at least tolerate him. I think its because it was done really gradual. Ghostie would come around and id feed him and he'd leave for 1-7 days. So they smelled him once in a while..then more and more. Plus I noticed ghostie has submissive gestures to my cats. He's like twice their size, we'll see how long that lasts once he's at home with the place.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's going to do well, since the cats get along!
My Feral is still in her own room, were moving pretty slowly over here
as they had a fight when the stray first came to us.
I hope my cats get to the point yours is!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm. I am not sure why you can’t see the link. It’s from Amazon. Just do a search on Twin Critters KittiKrack.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get squirrels as well as or instead of birds don't worry, cats adore watching squirrels. They even talk to them and the squirrels do really cute things like seeing the cat, clutching their hearts and falling over. Then they leap back up and chitter like mad.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only had time to skim through the last few posts in this thread, so I may suggest some that have been suggested, and have missed a few things to answer - - - so sorry if I'm adding unnecessary stuff! We always worry about our foster kitties (young and old) since we can't be with them 24/7 (we come as close as we can to that!). But the toys listed below ALL of our guys love - feral, stray, kittens with boundless energy!). And most will play with almost all listed below until the kitties are totally wrung out - in a good way!!!!!!! Playtime's just essential in ferals - or even cats that have been dumped at the shelter so they've retreated to a non-social state. But playtime helps them bond with YOU - and helps them bond with each other! (and shadowsrescue shadowsrescue of that KittyCrack catnip version if GREAT!)

1. laser pointer (altho sounds like he's not a fan - - you could try playing a bit differently with it. We really move it around, run it up the wall, etc. - every foster we've had loves them - - - but every cat's different, as we all know!!!!!!!)

2. Friskies Treat Mouse (they've stopped production of this- - but they can still be found - - every cat here loves it, even our ferals outside!). Plus it really makes them THINK! (and it makes US laugh how every single cat goes about "solving the puzzle" of how to get treats ou of the treat mouse!:
https://tinyurl.com/yxgftmcb

3. Cat Dancer (which is basically just a piece of wire with some rolled up cardboard on the end - - -but I tell you, we have to just stop playing with it and set it on our fireplace mantel, otherwise they find it!):
https://tinyurl.com/y3wnxffh

4. "Da Bird:" This toy's also so simple I want to scream "why didn't I think of that!?!?!?!! :gaah: The company is "GoCat."

Ghostie's Looking Bored...

5. There are LOTS of track and ball toys - - but this one's inexpensive - -and we've never had a kitty - young or old - - not spend large amounts of time with this one (and it's one of the cheaper versions of this concept):

https://tinyurl.com/y6729593

Hope these help (and just ignore everything if I screwed up what you needed by skimming - - BAD ME!).